Plate joiner question

Hi folks,
The Porter Cable plate joiner has a second, smaller blade for cutting groves for face frames. Size FF buiscuts are used.
Has anyone used the PC plate joiner? Recommended? And, how well does it work for face frames?
(I'm getting tired of drilling dowell holes :)
Gary
"G Mulcaster" wrote in message
Hi folks,
The Porter Cable plate joiner has a second, smaller blade for cutting groves for face frames. Size FF buiscuts are used.
Has anyone used the PC plate joiner? Recommended? And, how well does it work for face frames?
(I'm getting tired of drilling dowell holes :)
Gary
Yes Yes Great...
Bob S.

I have one and have never regretted getting it. It works very well for face frames, miters, slotting rails to attach tabletops, etc, etc, etc.
I received a Rockler sale flyer in the mail last week. Buy a PC plate joiner ($220) and get a PC690LR router free. Hell of a deal if it's still going on. Art

Art
In spewed forth:

I have a PC and a Dewalt My PC has an additional clear plastic plate that when used allows you stack the biscuits I think they call it an alignment plate, handy for a beefier joint

Much easier than dowels. OTOH, if you do a lot of face frames, it may be worth getting a Kreg setup. I've never used one myself but they are highly regarded by those that do.

The industry uses pocket screws. With just a little Kreg jig it's maybe not so sweet but one of the table top Kreg or PC power units would make life sweet. I found an off-brand full automatic unit on Craig's (like a Castle or Ritter) and I wouldn't give it up for 5x what I paid for it($200). Rarely do face frames but use it all the time for all sorts of stuff.

The question is, exactly how tired are you of drilling dowel holes? If you're thoroughly exhausted, then you should look into the Festool Domino. I bought one last August and I'm completely confident in the fact that it will completely replace any projects that would have needed my Freud biscuit joiner. I'll never use the Freud again. Hell, if you live anywhere near me in Toronto, Canada, I'll *give* you the biscuit joiner and a box of 2000 biscuits for a 24 pack of beer. How's that for an offer?
BTW, the Domino is certainly not cheap, but it's worth every cent. A fact, I'm sure that other Domino users here will testify to.

Like he said. I have a Dewalt biscuit joiner that's pretty damn lonely since I picked up the Festool. I don't know that I'd give it away for a case of beer, though. Unless it was some really damn fine beer, and those don't usually come in cases.

I own both the Lamello (Classic) and 557 PC. Not enough of a difference to warrant to extra cost for the Lamello. I also find the 'negative angle' capability of the PC a bonus as well as the FF cookies, although I have yet to use them. I am quite fond of the Porter Cable 557, and it could very well be the last decent product to come out of the Porter Cable stables.

I don't have the PC so can't comment on that but, for face frames, I have found pocket screws far faster.

I have had one for many years, the small blade does a great job cutting the slot for the small biscuit. I would never use that small of a bisquit for assembling face frames.
I suggest pocket hole screws and or a Festool Domino if you what it to have any strength.

Go get a set of pocket screw jigs and never look back.
--
Jim in NC

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:36:29 -0800, G Mulcaster

Thanks to everyone for your informative responses.
With all the options, I have some research homework to do :)
Regards, Gary

Yes, asking for opinions about the suitability of a joining technique around here is very dangerous because everyone will offer their alternative in addition to a simple yes and no to the original question.