Plantation Shutters - Anyone ever made them?

In have a lot of windows in which I want to have plantation style shutters. The cost for commerical units is going to bust my budget, so I am considering making them (the old make or buy decision).

Anyone have advice on how to make the slates? Referencing some shutters I already have in my house, the slats are 4.5" wide, 1/2" thick in the middle, and then taper down to about 1/4" (double taper on both edges). I'm trying to think of a way to accurately reproduce the profile on a table saw or router table. So I'm looking for some sort of jig, source for slat materials, or process to use?

Any suggestions? Thanks Dan P.

Reply to
Danp

Danp wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

Most good harwood lumber shops sell them already cut in long lengths. Most are made of basswood a very light wood, carvers love to use. I think for the time involved you might consider purchasing them.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Michael Stephenson wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

Ever use those bits by Woodline? I would'nt, cheap pieces of crap made in China.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

"Danp" wrote in news:CVA3b.20137$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.news.adelphia.net:

I looked into this a couple months ago but never actually did the project. I found that at least one online place will sell a kit, or even just the slats, but that their price was pretty much the same or higher than just buying an unfinished shutter. I did find one online hobby store that sells basswood strips in what looked like good sizes (like 3"x1/4") for much less money (like $30 per shutter for something in the 18"x72" size). I hadn't noticed the double-tapering on any of the shutters that I saw online - is that a normal feature or something special with yours? If you can live without that then it will be much easier to build or source the materials. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

-Matt

Reply to
MattH

This guy sells plans, and a video, IIRC ... may be worth checking out.

in Houston, the average window treatment with plantation shutters is about $1K each. I was lucky and saved the virtually new ones that were in the house we tore down to build this one. I had to re-work most of them to make them fit the new windows, but managed to do that with seven of them, for a considerable savings.

During the process of re-fitting, I was amazed at how little there was to them, and how easy they would be to build. These were top dollar units and they are held together with miter joints and sheet rock screws. Our slats are as you describe ... I would look for a commercial source for the slats if possible, but it would be interesting to see how the guy with the above plans handles the slats.

Good luck.

Reply to
Swingman

I once saw a program where Norm built some shutters -- well, maybe louvered doors. It might have been this one --

I recall he made a jig that seemed essential to making this work, since there are so many cuts that have to be offset just so to hold each slat. I don't specifically recall him making the slats, but I assume he did. Maybe it would be worth it to you to spend the $25 for the video. While I might normally just go for the drawings on a Norm project, if I were doing this particular project I might spring for the video. HTH. -- Igor

Reply to
Igor

Looking further at Norm's site I found this answer to a question posted juts last month:

Norm,

I need to re-build some fixed blade outdoor louvered shutters. I was told that the New Yankee Workshop did a TV program on how to set up the jigs for routing the frames for fixed blade louvers. Please send me back information to obtain a copy of the show or literature concerning this show. Thank you.

Jon Ford

202 Wildrose San Antonio, Texas 78209

Reply -- The Jigs project, #0101 includes a jig for mortising louvered doors and shutters. The video and plans are available on our website.

Reply to
Igor

I built shutter for all the windows in my house, using flat louvers, about

5/16" X 3" .

Rog

Reply to
Roger Jensen

Go for it. I've done 5 window's worth now and will do another few this winter.

>Anyone have advice on how to make the slates? Referencing some shutters I

About the only safe way I can think of is a shaper with a power feed. I've seen articles on doing this with a tablesaw but the thought of it terrifies me.

Reply to
Scott Post