PlansNow graphics suck

Is anyone else member of the PlansNOW monthly email newsletter? In the newsletter, there is a link to a free PDF download (sometimes a plan, sometimes a technique how-to, sometimes a tool review, etc). The photos look great and the text is clear and well written, but the graphics just plain suck.

I have tried many different resolutions at many different color depths on various monitors and LCDs. They all suck.

Anyone else have this experience?

codepath

Reply to
codepath

Yes, I am a member and know exactly what you mean. However there is a solution. Problem is I can't remember what it is. It's as simple as changing a setting in Adobe. I e-mailed plansnow about it before and they sent back a reply with the solution. Just tonight I have asked the question again. If I get a reply I will post it.

"Keep your stick on the ice." Tony

Reply to
Tony Mo

I think you have to zoom in some.

Stephen R.

Reply to
Stephen R

Change your printer driver to a standard like HP IV or something. IT will clear right up.

Digger

Reply to
Digger

They look great here... But I use a Mac with a Unix based operating system (OS X), so that's probably why. PDF is the native graphic mode.

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I contacted Plansnow and here is the solution. I tried it and it works:

  1. From your desktop, click on the Windows START button.
  2. Select PROGRAMS
  3. Scroll down to find Acrobat Reader 5.0. Select this.
  4. In the Acrobat Reader menu bar at top, click EDIT.
  5. Click PREFERENCES
  6. Select DISPLAY in the left column
  7. Locate the SMOOTHING options in the right column.
  8. Check boxes titled SMOOTH TEXT, SMOOTH LINE ART, SMOOTH IMAGES.
Reply to
Tony Mo

Thanks. I found the Adobe Acrobat setting and that did it.

I find it unbelievable that that setting is not on by default. Are they assuming that I automatically want sucky graphics? Stupid.

codepath

Reply to
codepath

The document is encoded for the good print quality, not on screen presentation. The graphics look poor because the fine lines that are used cannot be displayed adequately on a monitor, unless you zoom way in.

Print it and you'll love how it looks.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I didn't realize this setting existed, but I'm sure it's not on by default because it impacts the performance of the program. i.e., it runs slower with smoothing turned on.

Reply to
Larry Bud

That's what I was going to say - if you just print them out the graphics look great.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Reply to