Plans/pics/ideas for a building Youth Bed.

Page 2 of 2
CW wrote:

Well, don't much care for cats, but it works for the stuffed animals.
And yes, this was a *ton* of work. It got so I hated coming home at night because I had a pending deadline (birth of twin sons) and would have to work late to get this done.
As a personal joke, I had the artist paint a "large white seabird" on the underside of the top bunk so that looking up from the bottom bunk, you could see it. She asked my why I wanted that. I told her is was the albatross that had been tied around my neck while building the bed.
The good thing about these things is I forget about all the work a couple days/weeks later.
~Mark.
I built a dump truck bed for my 3 year old. He seems to like it. I recently put some switches on the dashboard that control lights. (The priority was the bed structure so I add a few details every month or so.) He uses the cab light (led) as a night light.
I put the drawing on google sketchup: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=2da5749dc311a2734d21ee28beab7a27
and some documentation on a web page: http://www.sawbee.com/rwmProjects/truckBed.shtml
Feel free to copy anything I did. randy melton

Looks sharp!

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:06:50 -0600, In newsgroup "rec.woodworking",

Hi Jim. This is a bit late, but I found a good set of reasonably priced bunk bed plans, and made a bed from them for my children. It's basic, but it was fairly easy to make, sturdy, and the kids love playing on it. They just drape blankets over the side, and use it as a fort. There is also 12 inches of clearance underneath, which allows room for storage: http://bit.ly/8s3xt5