Plans or pictures of a Stock Cart

Page 2 of 2

You either did not understand the above statement or you are crazy. If you see a piece of furniture in a store or a magazine and decide to make something close to it, that is not stealing. Every time you make a simple box do you send a royalty to the designer of the original box? I've copied many an item where there were no plans available. I've measured pieces on display in a store to get some idea of proportion. Two years ago I made a chaise lounge for $200 that rivals the $1000 one I saw in a store. They offered no plans. Who do I pay if I decide to make an Adirondack chair from scratch?
If you open a set of plans on the rack at Woodcraft and copy it, yes, that is stealing.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Maybe both<G>

Agreed.
Isn't that the way most of the NYW projects start out?
They find an antique piece on display in a gallery, take some pictures and measurements, then sit down and generate a set of working drawings based on that field trip.
Generating a set of engineering documents based on an existing model that is in the public domain is done every day and certainly isn't stealing.
Take those drawings that are clearly now for sale and modify them to make your own version without buying the drawings is a totally different matter.

Sounds like you and Norm should make a field trip together<G>.

Again, you created value by developing your own design based on public domain information.

Depends on whether you use a commerical plan or develop your own set of plans.

Precisely the point.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jeeze, a guy comes to us to ask for links to plans. He gets one referral and a page or two of crap.
I saw the thread [Today's most active topics:] and thought "I'll take a look, maybe there will be some fresh ideas or interesting solutions referenced."
Such a disappointment. And this one one of the "most active" threads!
If your friend or neighbor came over and asked you where he could find plans or ideas for a stock cart/storage system, would you help or give him grief?
And, if you simply don't have anything positive or informative or helpful, can't you simply restrain your compulsive need to respond and move on to the next post?
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/lumber_storage_racks.php
Free Woodworking Plans - Lumber Storage Racks (return) # Lumber Cart Rack and Panel cuttter (PDF) This is a very smart solution. It combines the storage capacity of a mobile lumber storage cart and utilizes the side of the cart for panel cutting. ShopNotes Magazine May 2008 Issue 99. # Bed, Single - 2x4 lumber I needed an extra bed in my old house for one of the tenants. Rather than buy something, I decided to just build a bed out of construction lumber. # Rack, Lumber by Grant Smith - I made up a lumber rack capable of storing over 1000 bd ft of lumber for around $200 about two years ago. It is made up of ½’ black iron pipe for shelves and 4x4x10’ lumber for the uprights. As an added bonus, it also features sheet stock storage behind it. The unit is an A-frame affair that partially leans on a wall. It is scalable so you can decide how long you want to make it. The design allows easy sorting and browsing of lumber from the side. # Rack, Lumber - Sheet Goods Host David Thiel creates a storage rack for tall sheet goods. # Rack, Lumber This example of a lumber rack is made with one-inch diameter galvanized pipe. The rack stores hardwood boards and sheets of plywood. You can screw the lumber rack into a permanent spot in your shop, or add casters so you can move it around where you need. # Rack, Lumber Cart - Sheet Goods The sheet goods cart has several features, including a kickstand to steady the cart when it’s not moving. It has a handle attached to the back of a large sheet of 3/4 inch plywood to control the cart when pushing. It also has two fixed caster that work like a skate. A wooden lip keeps the sheet goods from sliding off the front of the cart. # Stand, Lumber Host David Thiel is joined by a viewer from Denver, who offers a great idea for making a stand that holds long pieces of lumber. # Rack, Lumber Cart - Roll Around Plywood Let the wheels do the work with our simple but effective plywood- toting runabout.
Add pictures here
βœ–
look at the one mid way down this page: http://benchmark.20m.com/workshop/Jigs_Carts/Jigs_Carts.html
dabears525 wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

You really don't need plans for something like this. I used fixed shelves, you want it to be solid. My philosophy with things for the shop is scraps and pocket screws first, ask questions later. I made mine with shelves sized 24"x16" which allowed me to get 3 shelves out of one piece of 2'x4' melamine, I have a 4th shelf at the bottom from scrap ply. I have about 11" from the top of a shelf to the bottom of the rail above it. The size works for me, small enough to get anywhere in my shop. I like the melamine because I do small glue-ups on it, the glue pops off the melamine easily.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I was not trying to start a pissing contest! I read this group every day and get great ideas or tips from many of the good contributors. To bad they didn't show up today. Buying the plan was not the issue. Many times Norm's or anyone else's shop tools or jigs have been improved upon by many of you. I was just seeking your advise for a "better mousetrap". I thought that's what this group did was share ideas or show off completed projects.
To all of you with the money/plans issues, you call yourselves woodworkers? You have been inhaling too much sawdust. Anyone can snipe from the outside but it takes a craftsperson to share their experience or help someone. Thanks to the two who did give a decent reply.

βœ–

Although I'm not known for decent replies, check out the pictures of my sheetgoods and cutoffs cart at http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com / They're in the workshop album. It's kinda like the carts at the borg, where the center casters are a little proud of the plane that the end casters describe, so it can pivot around pretty tightly. G'luck. Tom
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nice. Thanks. Enjoyed them.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Tom: Nice shop. . .thanks for sharing. Smitty
Add pictures here
βœ–

You're welcome. Thank you. Tom
Add pictures here
βœ–
"dabears525" wrote:

NO, just looking for free engineering.

Since this drawing shows three different projects for the price of one, you win.
BTW, the roller guide is probably the "sleeper" project of the group.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–

MAN, YOU ARE ONE FULL OF CRAP BULLSHIT ARTIST! This entire newsgroup is an exchange of information, suggestions and ideas. By your stunted criteria, you could accuse the entire readership of this group as seeking free engineering. And since over the years I've seen a number of your own comments exchanging information and ideas, you'd be included with everybody else.
How do you explain that?
Add pictures here
βœ–
If you look at the original question, I never asked for a copy of Norm's drawing. I asked for ideas for a stock cart and referenced the one Norm built as a way to describe what I was looking for. You got so narrow minded on your perception of somebody getting something copyrighted. Tell me you have never asked anyone for help. You were born with all skills needed? What a load of crap! You got information from others and used it to better yourself or what you where building. Let's hear you explain that???? Look at all of the good ideas many people contribute like Morris who posts pictures as well and others.
What is the purpose of this newsgroup if not a place to discuss our enjoyment of working with work and sharing ideas??

Add pictures here
βœ–