Plans or pictures of a Stock Cart

Page 1 of 2
Any one have any good plans to share for a stock cart similar to the one Norm built on episode # 0603? Would you make the shelves adjustable or in a fixed position?
Thanks for your help
dabears525 wrote:

Any reason you don't want to just get the plans from Norm?
--John

Obviously, he'd prefer not to spend the money. I know you're a smart person, but smart-ass answers like yours above only serve to make you look stupid.
"Upscale" wrote:

Looking in the mirror I see.
BTW, if the cost of a set of plans represents a serious cost component, you are probably involved in the wrong activity.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yeah, me too. OTOH, a couple of hours (or evenings) with the CAD package usually gives me something I like better than the original...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

In the past, I have purchased several NYW plans.
Have found them to be well documented and for less than $10, well worth the cost; however, have never felt the need to buy the video that is an option.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I spent all my money on tools and women, the rest I just wasted. :-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

WHAT?
No booze???
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Life is just full of hard choices... :-]
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Booze isn't a waste unless it's spilled....

I am astonished at how nasty the tone on here can get without even involving me.
--
FF

I don't buy plans anymore. I can look at something or perhaps get a little advice and then draw my own plans if needed and then build it. But, since you appear to have an excess of money and don't mind throwing you money around without consideration, then feel free to buy some plans for the OP. I'm sure he will appreciate it.
And it's not a matter of being a serious cost component. The choice being available, I prefer to spend my money on important stuff like the alcohol I buy every week which is considerably costlier then some simple plans.
"Upscale" wrote:

Think that is known as being a mooch in my prt of the world.
Trying to use design plans the the designer clearly offers for sale to build a single unit without paying for them is very simply the theft of intellectual property.
You state you are a tech writer.
What is your position if someone were to plagurize your work, then sell it without compensating you?

Interesting observation; however will consider it for what it is IBS (Intellectual BULL SHIT).

That seems obvious.
Lew

Then you're completely full of shit Lew. There isn't a person alive who does woodwork that hasn't taken someone's else's idea and modified a version for his own use. You build a chair, a table whatever, it's design is based exactly or loosely on some other person's design that you've seen. The only difference between me and you is that I don't lie about it while you're completely full of crap.

I guess you've never done a history assignment in school. That's where you read what someone else has written and then say it again in your own words. With your warped thinking, I'd guess you'd classify that as plagiarism. Would that be correct Lew?

Quite obviously, you don't have a clue about the legalities of being a technical writer. A technical writer usually takes legally obtained information given to him or researched by him and rewrites it at the comprehension and interest level for a particular audience. Since the information is owned from beginning to end by the client, he's free to do with what's been written as he pleases including copying, rewriting and distributing it ~ even if it's information created entirely by me. I know for certain fact that information I've previously written has been rewritten, updated and changed a number of times by successive technical writers. And you know what Lew? I'm perfectly fine with that because it's the nature of the business.

Possibly, however your response is just BULL SHIT without any intelligence to back it up.

The alcohol comment was intended to be funny. Obviously, you wouldn't find it so because you appear to have your humour up your ass where you apparently have also placed your head.
Dave
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Nothing wrong with "mooching" ideas to use in your own designs, despite recent efforts to the contrary in the software industry.

OK, so when in your opinion is it legitimate to draw your own plans for a duplicate of a piece of furniture you have seen? Is Norm stealing when he does this? How do you draw the line between theft and inspiration?

Who said anything about "selling"? Google "fair use doctrine". In any case it's queationable whether examining a picture of a piece of furniture and then drawing a similar design is copyright violation--Plycraft made imitation Eames chairs for decades that incorporated all the distinctive features of the Eames except a different shaped armrest and Herman Miller was never successful in shutting down this activity.
Certainly if someone is selling unauthorized copies of Norm's plans that's bad, but that's not what was being proposed.

--John
"J. Clarke" wrote:

See comment in post to Edwin P.

Again, see comment in post to Edwin P.
Lew

I expect that copyright has expired for most of the pieces that Norm duplicates. Plus, he usually makes some dimensional and stylistic changes, see below.

Fair Use Doctrine would not be applicable.
What is applicable is that what he makes from a picture is not going to be an exact copy of the original. For some intellectual property, infringement does not require exact duplication. "Terminator" violated Harlan Ellison's copyrights on one or more stories with very different details. For furniture, IIRC, infringement does require exact or nearly exact duplication. Otherwise copyright would have long ago expired on every basic piece of furniture as ,many chairs, tables, dressers, desks, etc are much like others.
And please, _information_ per se is not protected by copyright.
--

FF

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Isn't that a tad harsh?
Looking at something, seeking advice, and drawing his own plans, makes him a Mooch? <G>
"B A R R Y" wrote:

The above doesn't; however, modifying a set of plans that are for sale without buying them is.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

So who in this discussion did this or claimed to have done this?
--John