Plans needed: Ugly garage shelves

Page 1 of 2
Strange as it sounds, I'm having a devil of a time finding plans for some basic floorstanding garage shelves. Spacing between shelves needs to be big enough to store medium-sized U-Haul boxes and other big stuff, and I don't care how ugly they are, as long as they're strong. Screw assembly is preferable to nails, because I'll be moving within the next couple of years and would like to be able to disassemble them. Can anyone provide a web link, or the name & author of a book that's useful? My public library hasn't been much help. -Doug
Hey Traves - this sounds like sumpin' you could design on a napkin! LOL!
Jummy

It's probably something that ANY of you could design on a napkin, while three sheets to the wind and blindfolded! But I'm having trouble visualizing it. My ex's brother built a nice set of these, but I'm not allowed in his house any more.

"Doug Kanter" who lives with an old broad with a limited vocabulary (but cool old chick) wrote in message:

Faxed. And BTW - don't rebound with the old broad. LOL!
Jums

Thanks again, Jim. And...not a chance with the old broad!

No, but whenever the next guy comes along, he'll gain a clear understanding of the line from the song "Born Under a Bad Sign": If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. :-)

Hey...I'm happy. I lost my garden, but I still have my tools, my boat and my fishing tackle. And, another woman who knows what's what. :-)

like a sailor).

in my town, there's a company that buys up shelving systems from companies going out of business. i bought 6 3x5x8 3 sided systems with adjustable metal shelves that bolted together for $60/each. really heavy duty ones. i think they came out of an electronics warehouse.
you might try looking in the yellow pages.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
Try the Borg or Lowes. THey have quick setup plastic shelving kits, you supply the 2X4's and custom configure them to your needs. If you're gonna be moving, then having break down shelving sounds like a good answer.

Yesterday I noticed as Sam's, some really strong steel shelf units with MDF shelves. These free standing shelf units resemble the ones used in the Borg to display their products. May be cheaper, quicker, and stronger in the long run. They appeared to be adjustable and easy to break down.

Interesting! I'll be at Home Despot tonight to take a look at this as a possibility. Thanks!
couple of months ago I saw a solution to this problem at the Home Despot. They had several plastic "corners" in a kit that were sized to take standard 2x4 lumber. The plastic "corners" held the 2x4s into upright, horizontal and "shelf" locations, and could be glued/screwed to the 2x4. Size/spacing was up to you.
tim

I was looking at those plastic kits in Lowe's a few weeks back for some basement shelving. Makes it nice and easy for sure, but at almost $20 for a set of 6 I found that too steep for basic storage shelving. Now those Simpson tie items mentioned earlier look interesting. Wondering how much they cost though, will have to check that out.
snipped-for-privacy@mc.duke.edu (tim collins) wrote in message

I'm lazy and figured pre-made shelves would work just fine. These can be disassembled, are deep (24") and the shelves are adjustable. You don't mention price so I'm going under the assumption that price is no object.
I bought mine at The Borg. They're pretty much the same price everywhere.
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId1933-1281-MR245

"Sorry...product no longer available" :-)
Home Depot and others have some ready-made stuff. The ones which are strong enough are more than my divorce lawyer will let me spend right now. :-)
Doug,
I have some shelves that I built for my garage and my sister's garage. They work great. They're ugly but strong. I could writeup some plans if you're interested. The shelves are 18" high (until 2' before ceiling -- depends on height of garage), 2' deep, and 4' wide. You could make them whatever height/depth you want (my sister's are 18" deep), that's the best part. They easily support me standing on them and they go up in an afternoon. Mine are 12' long and my sister's are 8' long.
I make them out of 2x4s 1x4s, 1x3s and 4x8 sheets of 3/4" OSB flooring ($10 a sheet). I think I spent $70 on my sister's 8' long, 18" deep, 8' high section.
The shelves slide in and out if you need to rearrange them and the posts/supports are all installed with screws (oh, and I used my pocket jig -- the mini-jig is $20 for jig and stepped drill bit).
Let me know if you're interested.
Mike

    Greetings and Salutations...
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:58:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

together into shelf units. They are REALLY great. My brother in law built several units and got a lot of his basement straghtened up. Consists of a 2x4 upright, with the shelves spaced about 18" apart, high enough to allow two standard record storage boxes to be stacked on the shelf. Two is about the max, otherwise you can't get to stuff easily.     he made them 4 shelves high, which works out to about 6'. The length is 2x4 stock, and, he made them about 6' long. The width is about 36' or so (the length of two of the document storage boxes end to end.     We finished up by cutting 1/2" plywood into a shelf and screwing it to the shelf supports.     Very quick, fairly cheap and amazingly strong.     Regards     Dave Mundt