Plans for projects

Page 3 of 3

If you were 'away', in the same way as many Canuckistanis are 'away' in Florida and Arizona this time of year..well.. you've come back too soon. *S*
"Swingman" wrote

Damn, that thing has more space age materials in it than a stealth fighter. No wonder it is so expensive.
Reminds me of a comment made by one of the survivors of the Hudson "water landing". He, among many, were flying south to play golf. And all their golf clubs had to be left behind. He was saying that he wasn't sure how much he was going to spend on golf clubs now that his present set is in the belly of a water logged plane.
Those are the deep questions of life. Just how much should one spend on golf clubs (or fishing tackle)? Hmmmm...........
"Robatoy" wrote

You mean like this Sketchup model rendered in Strata 5.5 :
http://www.stratacafe.com/image.asp?galcat=0&imageID &525&nonav=1
Serious enough for you, eh Bubba? <g,d,&r>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

That looks terrible!! Must have been a bad model to begin with...
"Lee Michaels" wrote

Unfortunately, and with some architects, it also has nothing to with what can be _practically_ built.
Isn't "Falling Water" still doing just that?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you are going to buy a $30,000 CNC router to build your design, you might want to use something else. If you just want to build one set of end tables and nothing else, ever, then just use a pen and pencil. If you enjoy using your computer to do stuff, or, are planing on building more stuff and making more drawings, then, SU is worth spending a few weeks learning to use.
It took me 3, maybe 4 tries before I got a good handle on it's basic use, so I probably have at least several weeks in learning the program.(over a period of several months) It is ,imnsho, not that easy to learn. It IS easy to use once you learn the basics.. You could draw up, and build your two end tables much quicker than learning the basics of SU. On the other hand, once you get the basics down, you can have a ball using your computer to make fantastic, detailed sketches of anything normally built in a home or smallish cabinet shop.
Personally, one of the main reasons my wood shop has not been busy in the past 20 years is I started screwing around with computers, initially I wanted to make cad drawings, and got a copy of Design Cad sometime in the 80's. Spent a few weeks learning it, drew up a barn in a week or two and built it. I could have drawn up the barn on paper and built the thing in much less time than it took me to learn design cad and draw the thing up on my PC XT. Then, I discovered that programing was almost identical to woodworking, in that you could create/build stuff (applications) that did stuff but mistakes were fixed with a few button clicks. My shop fell idle and a new, just as rewarding hobby took over. Now, I'm trying to get back into woodworking, but alas, still have trouble getting past the SU phase of projects.
--
Jack