Plans for projects

"MikeWhy" wrote

LOL ... your ignorance will continue to have that effect until you quit showing it, which you seem to do a lot in the short time you've been around here.

Simple solution for you ... READ the OP's original question, stick to addressing the question in the woodworking context in which it was asked, and quit slobbering in the public trough with half-baked, preconceived opinions based on an incomplete understanding of the program's suitability for the OP's _specific_ task.

Reply to
Swingman

Gee, Rob ... great woodworking projects there, Bubba. :)

Should the OP feel the need for "photo realism" when designing his end table, he can just grab his digital camera and go to the furniture store, and for a lot less cash and learning curve.

Reply to
Swingman

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Unfortunately, and with some architects, it also has nothing to with what can be _practically_ built.

Isn't "Falling Water" still doing just that?

Reply to
Swingman

That's 4 with no content. Did you actually have something to say about SU?

Reply to
MikeWhy

That bike was done from scratch in one program...which sells for around $ 500.00. Runs on both PC and Mac.

If a program is capable to accommodate a designer to the level of that bike, is sure-as-shit should be able to do the same for a frickin' coffee table. N'est-ce pas? That is all I wanted to demonstrate... but you knew that.

Reply to
Robatoy

It's not Canvas, is it?

I used one of the very early version of Canvas to do all the "blueprints" on my first house.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My venture into Canvas was short-lived, to say the least. ("send us another $ 200.00 and we'll upgrade you to a version that won't crash.") I was well entrenched into MinCAD by then. (The 'Mini' in MiniCAD came from Mini computers, somewhere between a main-frame and a desk-top, I suppose.) MiniCAD is now called Vectorworks and is in all aspects a direct competitor to AutoCAD. More intuitive, less of a resource hog and very capable. It has all your bolean functions, NURBS, IOW all you need and more. For less money.

The files created in Vectorworks,or most other serious CAD environments, export flawlessly into Strata CX 5.6 for rendering. Strata has serious capabilities built in to create any kind of shape you desire. A bit awkward at first, to some, but a pussycat once you discover their metaphor.

Reply to
Robatoy

And, if you feel the need, apparently for non "serious" CAD programs also:

once again, since we're posting pretty pictures:

?f=81&t=15103and before and after:

discussion has been centered around SketchUp and its application for woodworkers. Most woodworkers would rarely need more than the above ... and it's certainly available if they do.

Reply to
Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote

You mean like this Sketchup model rendered in Strata 5.5 :

enough for you, eh Bubba?

Reply to
Swingman

Did you even read that article? There has been a plug-in for Vectorworks to open .skp for a long time. How does that ability reflect on Vectorworks' overall capabilities? That's like saying that you can use the air of HF $49.00 compressor to inflate the tires on a Maybach and therefore it says something about the HF compressor?

SketchUp is very capable within its limitations. To try to elevate it into the same sphere as Vectorworks and AutoCAD, Vellum, and such, shows a total lack of experience with industrial grade software.

Is it a great deal (free) ? Absolutely. Does it have capabilities that would satisfy most woodworkers? Absolutely Is the Pro version worth the money compared to what else is out there? Probably. Can Pro supplant the industrial robustness of Vectorworks? Of course not. You know that's true, and I know that's true.

What do you think the odds are that Brembo uses Sketchup to design their brake systems?

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Look again, dude ... thus far you are the one trying to "elevate" anything "into the same sphere" by your insistence on direct comparison!

Not to mention, that your even missing your own point:

Reply to
Swingman

I do not insist on a direct comparison, in fact, I am the one who has been making it clear that there is NO direct comparison. Apples (no matter how poorly rendered) versus oranges. SketchUp is a toy, albeit somewhat capable. Period.

And the fact that Strata can import that awkward .skp file from SketchUp is a reflection on Strata's abilities, not SketchUp's. Same goes for Vectorworks. Besides, why-the-f*ck would I create a part in SU and the export it to Strata when I can create a more accurate part in Strata itself?

Are you getting this yet, Bubba?

If you are trying to convince people that you can do with a brace-and- bit what others can do with a Multi-Router? Ultimately, you might be able to, but why then do you own a Multi- Router?

There was no SketchUp when I got into CAD, so I learned the hard way. Then when SU shows up, I immediately looked for features I use and want. They ain't there my friend.

But enough of this nonsense, I'm wasting my time.

You win

*shrugs*
Reply to
Robatoy

The point you seem to be unable to grasp is that SU is NOT a "CAD" program, has never been one, and makes NO pretense whatsoever of being one.

You have amply demonstrated your ignorance of that fact by insisting on your comparison campaign _you_ started, so spare us the "total lack of experience with industrial grade software" horseshit.

What SU inarguably is, among other things, is a "serious" woodworking TOOL for those woodworkers interested in designing their own. Start thinking past your preconceived CAD notions, in a woodworking sense, and you may one day appreciate the truth in that statement, but I won't hold my breath.

Hell, go start some more of your political shit stirring ... a better way to waste of your time.

That's right, if you can't stand the comparison heat you began, the woodworking kitchen's obviously no place for you, dude.

Reply to
Swingman

Funny, my woodworker's kitchen is doing rather well, according to my tax consultant and accountant...LOL

Funny how riled up you get over f*ck-all. You spent the money on 'Pro'...it's a dud, now live with it. Stop blaming any of us for your bad choice of software. Jeesuz, bubba, lighten-the-f*ck up!

Now, I suppose you Texans are going to be all happy to have W back amongst your midst, eh? Are you going to use SketchUp to design W's presidential library? The shelves should be easy.. it will only hold 2 books, and one isn't even coloured yet.!

I really do have to get some work done, I'm busier than ol' hell with people wanting to spend money on my incompetence...*G*

Mitchell 300 on an medium action 7' worm rod. 15 pound test.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

LOL ...Au contraire, ye of cold, obviously brain impairing, climate.

Say what you will, but it's looking like that little old "3D surface modeler" program (or, as one analyst put it, "a 3D modeler that creates 2D polygons and does not have an underlying object-based technology") may well have me eating steak well into the next year, instead of soup line fare ..., and maybe until I can justify that permanent fishing trip to the lake house.

Yep, just thrilled to death ... absolutely thrilled to death by the prospect!

You mean "ignorance", right? Same here ... but what's this I keep hearing about a "depression"?

Actually, I'm looking at the "carrot stick", 12lb test, Carolina rigged worm:

at the lake house in AR let me try his out ... impressive. More than I wanted to spend, but what the hell, you gotta do your part for the economy.

Hell, should be able to spend my upcoming bailout/tax relief/stimulus package money on it, RSN ...

Stay out of the cold and keep that brain warm now, dude! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

You know what, Karl? We are not that different. Except that I am always right, of course.

Maybe a chat on the phone would cure our ills... my dime.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yabbut, I always win, eh?

No ills a little Blackberry (Bold) to Blackberry (Storm)? can't overcome ...

Check your e-mail.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Damn, that thing has more space age materials in it than a stealth fighter. No wonder it is so expensive.

Reminds me of a comment made by one of the survivors of the Hudson "water landing". He, among many, were flying south to play golf. And all their golf clubs had to be left behind. He was saying that he wasn't sure how much he was going to spend on golf clubs now that his present set is in the belly of a water logged plane.

Those are the deep questions of life. Just how much should one spend on golf clubs (or fishing tackle)? Hmmmm...........

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Well... the best e-mail *I* got is the info button on my website. That sets off my Blackberry Bold every time.

Robatoy

That looks terrible!! Must have been a bad model to begin with...

Reply to
Robatoy