Plans for projects

Page 2 of 3
"Robatoy" wrote
A local contractor wanted to build his dream/retirement house and over a beer/lunch with a few locals, a local architect sketched out the house on a placemat. It was instantly accepted as 'The Plan'..and proved conclusively that the ability of the architect to express visually what the client wanted had nothing to do with the software. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wonder how many great ideas/concepts, etc were first drawn up on placemats, napkins, etc.
I wonder if there is a market for creative placemats and napkins?

But for many things, SketchUp simple doesn't have enough.
(From Strata Galleries.)
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/greatbikeshot.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/bottledisplay.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Curtains.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/faucets.jpg
and especially this one created in AutoDesk Inventor and rendered in Strata
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/centrespeaker.jpg
Then again, it is possible to hold up a bank with a toy gun. <EG>
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Gee, Rob ... great woodworking projects there, Bubba. :)
Should the OP feel the need for "photo realism" when designing his end table, he can just grab his digital camera and go to the furniture store, and for a lot less cash and learning curve. <g>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

That bike was done from scratch in one program...which sells for around $ 500.00. Runs on both PC and Mac.
If a program is capable to accommodate a designer to the level of that bike, is sure-as-shit should be able to do the same for a frickin' coffee table. N'est-ce pas? That is all I wanted to demonstrate... but you knew that.
Robatoy wrote:

It's not Canvas, is it?
I used one of the very early version of Canvas to do all the "blueprints" on my first house.
--

-MIKE-

My venture into Canvas was short-lived, to say the least. ("send us another $ 200.00 and we'll upgrade you to a version that won't crash.") I was well entrenched into MinCAD by then. (The 'Mini' in MiniCAD came from Mini computers, somewhere between a main-frame and a desk-top, I suppose.) MiniCAD is now called Vectorworks and is in all aspects a direct competitor to AutoCAD. More intuitive, less of a resource hog and very capable. It has all your bolean functions, NURBS, IOW all you need and more. For less money.
The files created in Vectorworks,or most other serious CAD environments, export flawlessly into Strata CX 5.6 for rendering. Strata has serious capabilities built in to create any kind of shape you desire. A bit awkward at first, to some, but a pussycat once you discover their metaphor.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

And, if you feel the need, apparently for non "serious" CAD programs also:
http://www.nemetschek.net/news/pressreleases/2006/050206.php
:)
And, once again, since we're posting pretty pictures:
http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/viewtopic.php?f &t993 http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/viewtopic.php?f &t103
and before and after:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5012/ariston1jf4.jpg
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5959/ariston2hs3.jpg
This discussion has been centered around SketchUp and its application for woodworkers. Most woodworkers would rarely need more than the above ... and it's certainly available if they do.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Did you even read that article? There has been a plug-in for Vectorworks to open .skp for a long time. How does that ability reflect on Vectorworks' overall capabilities? That's like saying that you can use the air of HF $49.00 compressor to inflate the tires on a Maybach and therefore it says something about the HF compressor?
SketchUp is very capable within its limitations. To try to elevate it into the same sphere as Vectorworks and AutoCAD, Vellum, and such, shows a total lack of experience with industrial grade software.
Is it a great deal (free) ? Absolutely. Does it have capabilities that would satisfy most woodworkers? Absolutely Is the Pro version worth the money compared to what else is out there? Probably. Can Pro supplant the industrial robustness of Vectorworks? Of course not. You know that's true, and I know that's true.
What do you think the odds are that Brembo uses Sketchup to design their brake systems?
"Robatoy" wrote

Look again, dude ... thus far you are the one trying to "elevate" anything "into the same sphere" by your insistence on direct comparison!
Not to mention, that your even missing your own point:

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I do not insist on a direct comparison, in fact, I am the one who has been making it clear that there is NO direct comparison. Apples (no matter how poorly rendered) versus oranges. SketchUp is a toy, albeit somewhat capable. Period.
And the fact that Strata can import that awkward .skp file from SketchUp is a reflection on Strata's abilities, not SketchUp's. Same goes for Vectorworks. Besides, why-the-fuck would I create a part in SU and the export it to Strata when I can create a more accurate part in Strata itself?
Are you getting this yet, Bubba?
If you are trying to convince people that you can do with a brace-and- bit what others can do with a Multi-Router? Ultimately, you might be able to, but why then do you own a Multi- Router?
There was no SketchUp when I got into CAD, so I learned the hard way. Then when SU shows up, I immediately looked for features I use and want. They ain't there my friend.
But enough of this nonsense, I'm wasting my time.
You win
*shrugs*
"Robatoy" wrote in message wrote:

The point you seem to be unable to grasp is that SU is NOT a "CAD" program, has never been one, and makes NO pretense whatsoever of being one.
You have amply demonstrated your ignorance of that fact by insisting on your comparison campaign _you_ started, so spare us the "total lack of experience with industrial grade software" horseshit.
What SU inarguably is, among other things, is a "serious" woodworking TOOL for those woodworkers interested in designing their own. Start thinking past your preconceived CAD notions, in a woodworking sense, and you may one day appreciate the truth in that statement, but I won't hold my breath.

Hell, go start some more of your political shit stirring ... a better way to waste of your time.

That's right, if you can't stand the comparison heat you began, the woodworking kitchen's obviously no place for you, dude.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Funny, my woodworker's kitchen is doing rather well, according to my tax consultant and accountant...LOL
Funny how riled up you get over fuck-all. You spent the money on 'Pro'...it's a dud, now live with it. Stop blaming any of us for your bad choice of software. Jeesuz, bubba, lighten-the-fuck up!
Now, I suppose you Texans are going to be all happy to have W back amongst your midst, eh? Are you going to use SketchUp to design W's presidential library? The shelves should be easy.. it will only hold 2 books, and one isn't even coloured yet.!
I really do have to get some work done, I'm busier than ol' hell with people wanting to spend money on my incompetence...*G*
Mitchell 300 on an medium action 7' worm rod. 15 pound test.
"Robatoy" wrote

LOL ...Au contraire, ye of cold, obviously brain impairing, climate.
Say what you will, but it's looking like that little old "3D surface modeler" program (or, as one analyst put it, "a 3D modeler that creates 2D polygons and does not have an underlying object-based technology") may well have me eating steak well into the next year, instead of soup line fare ..., and maybe until I can justify that permanent fishing trip to the lake house.

Yep, just thrilled to death ... absolutely thrilled to death by the prospect!

You mean "ignorance", right? <g, d & r> Same here ... but what's this I keep hearing about a "depression"?

Actually, I'm looking at the "carrot stick", 12lb test, Carolina rigged worm:
http://www.e21sports.com/fishing//products.php
Neighbor at the lake house in AR let me try his out ... impressive. More than I wanted to spend, but what the hell, you gotta do your part for the economy.
Hell, should be able to spend my upcoming bailout/tax relief/stimulus package money on it, RSN ...
Stay out of the cold and keep that brain warm now, dude! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

You know what, Karl? We are not that different. Except that I am always right, of course.
Maybe a chat on the phone would cure our ills... my dime.

Yabbut, I always win, eh?

No ills a little Blackberry (Bold) to Blackberry (Storm)? can't overcome ...
Check your e-mail.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Well... the best e-mail *I* got is the info button on my website. That sets off my Blackberry Bold every time. www.topworks.ca
Swingman wrote:
... were about to start the war of 1812 all over agin...
I've been away. I'm missing a shitload of context from a ton of messages, and this morning I was "almost" dismayed.
The reason was that in coming back into this snakepit, I happened on two of the most respected and talented posters gittin' set to fire howitzers at each other. (I'm north of both of you so there was no worry about collateral damage to my shop, but I did have a concern about 'Merican/Canuckistan relations)
It was with great relief and joy to realize that these two were just claiming that "mine is bigger'n yers" and that all is still right with the woodworking world.
Gawdamned text based messages still can fool me at times.
Tanus
"Tanus" wrote

LOL ... welcome back! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

...well... mine *is* bigger...(metric..bigger numbers)
<G> Welcome back.
Robatoy wrote:

Thanks to both of you. Once I get through the 999 unread messages, maybe I'll be able to come up with some more questions that'll make everyone's eyes roll back into their heads.
Tanus