Plans for "jigsaw" furniture?

Hi, I'm an artist with a very small woodshop (bandsaw, table saw, sander, various handheld power tools) and very low level skills. I'm getting good results with my bandsaw and I'm competent on the rest. I mostly use my woodshop to make armatures for my concrete/plaster/papier mache sculptures. I've also done some simple carving with my Foredom Flexible shaft and dremels.

I recently saw a line of furniture at Target which is made of plywood that is put together like a puzzle. Go to

see examples. I rather like the idea of furniture that is put together with slots and such. I'm also thinking that if I get my hands on some plans I could modify them in interesting ways.

I did do a google search and found "Pop and Lock Furniture"

but that's only for plans for Adirondack chairs and some kids furniture. I was hoping to do something like the coffee table in the Target webpage.

Does anyone know of plans for this type of furniture?

Many thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Jung

Chris,

Popular Mechanics (or maybe Pop Science) used to run an annual contest using plywood, probably sponsored by the plywood industry. May have been called "one sheet plywood projects" or something along that line. Others here on the rec. must remember the series I'm thinking of, it ran for many years. This was back in the 1970's or so. There were very many entries for furniture. Some of the projects were quite ingenious. In any case, check your local library. They should have (or have access to) back issues of these old mags. If they do not have the actual mags, they should have microfilms of them. Ask the information librarian. They love to _show you_ how to find that sort of stuff. You might also "google" for one sheet plywood projects etc. And check the plywood industry assn. sites. Plywood firms like Georgia Pacific might have some "freebie" plans too.

Have fun!

DexAZ

sculptures.

to see examples. I rather like the idea of furniture that is put together

Reply to
DexAZ

Reply to
Joe Gorman

sculptures.

to see examples. I rather like the idea of furniture that is put together

Search for a book titled, "Nomadic Furniture". It has some plans for this kind of thing.

Also, there was an article in a back issue (several years ago) of Fine Woodworking that featured an interesting design for a plywood chair made this way. It even featured "springs" made with serpentine router cuts in the plywood.

Henry Bibb

Reply to
Henry Bibb

I think I have something you can use. Presently, I am building a coffee table out of 2x2 cherry and staining it with some dark polyurethane. I have a sort of dilemma in that I can't decide whether I should do m&t, biscuits, or dowels on the joints ...or just butt joint with glue and some brads( until the glue dries.)

Lawrence L'Hote