plans for acoustic computer enclosure?

They're just email addresses Ed. Considering how many "John Smith" people there are in the US, what would you suggest to all those people who find their name is already in use for an email address and have to choose to "hide" under an alias as you're suggesting?

And since you're choosing to argue this inane subject instead of manning up and admitting that you didn't see Karl's name at the bottom of his email, feel free to continue.

Reply to
sweetnothing

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 13:20:06 -0400, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

Before I got this whisper-quiet ACER, I was thinking about doing that same thing for my old computer. I HATE fan noise when I'm thinking.

I was going to build two open-ended rectangular boxes about 3" different in height and 6" different in width, then line the inside with either foam carpet padding or carpet itself. I aimed to do the same thing for my compressor.

The pooter is 7w x 18d x 14h. The inside shell would be 10x20x15.5, the outer 13x23x18.5

One end and the bottom would be open on each shell.

A 4" hole near the bottom in the back of the small shell would let in all the cables and be acoustically baffled by a towel wrapped around the opening after cable routing and shell placement, open end front.

The front shell would fit around the smaller shell, providing 1.5" clearance for air intake on 3 sides, open end back. It would slide off for insertion of DVDs, or if I were playing/loading DVDS more frequently, I might make an openable door on the top of the front.

Baltic birch plywood and 3/4" cleats, glue, and "a few brads to hold it while the glue sets" make up the boxes. Once the cleats were glued and set, I'd glue the carpet down to the inside with acrylic mastic. It sets in a day and doesn't stink much while curing. Then I'd glue the panels up and brush on some Waterlox.

Set 'em outside to degas for a couple weeks and Bob's yer uncle.

These might look a lot nicer if you used steel or aluminum sheet and wetsuit foam, for that commercial look.

IAC, the foam or carpeting + angles should soak up a -whole- lot of the fan noises. Maybe Swingman could work up some drawings of these for you. (About 3 minutes with SketchUp, wot? I'm getting ready to buy a new computer so I won't be installing it on this old job.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:09:04 -0600, the infamous Chris Friesen scrawled the following:

Sure, and overheat the system, causing (at worst) a fire or (at least) a component failure, like a fried CPU. Don't mess with the fans, Chris. Muffle 'em but don't remove 'em.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Monitor the temperatures and you can compare the performance of various configurations.

Another "solution", and an effective one if your layout affords it, is to put the computer in a room on the other side of the wall, and to string through the cords for the monitor keyboard, mouse and speakers. You could even "caulk" the hole! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I've actually been considering this for the computer in our master bedroom. The other side of the wall is a coat closet that mainly holds old junk, so it would make an ideal computer closet with the addition of a good vent fan. I may decide to re-visit that idea....

Tim Douglass

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."

Reply to
Tim Douglass