Plans for a wooden forklift or pallet lifter/mover? (JT?)

Page 3 of 3
dpb wrote:
> > Are you able to pick these pallets up w/ a sling? If so, an overhead > rail w/ just a block and tackle or manual chain hoist is pretty cheap > (and more importantly, perhaps, quite simple to erect as opposed to > trying to cobble up a homebuilt lift or scissor table). I'd think it > well worth the investment to buy an inexpensive pallet mover, though.
As mentioned, a trailer with a lift gate and a driver with a pallet mover and you are in business.
After sending last post, the idea of a manual chain fall or an electric hoist hit me.
Add an overhead rail and you are done.
Certainly the lowest cost, fastest way to solve the problem, if the trucking company shows up not prepared.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

If you read the beginning the whole point is to avoid the liftgate charge they make if send truck w/ lift gate...since drivers are obligated to get it to the rear of the truck (just not to the ground) they almost always have the pallet truck for inside the truck...
Altho another totally different tack, Morris -- instead of the tall lift to the semi at your place, what about the lower lift to you pick-em-up and then take it to the terminal?
| Lew Hodgett wrote: | > dpb wrote: <respectuflly snipped> | Altho another totally different tack, Morris -- instead of the tall lift | to the semi at your place, what about the lower lift to you pick-em-up | and then take it to the terminal?
I don't have a fork lift, so I pick up larger and heavier stuff at the shipping terminals and use an overhead hoist to unload inside the shop from the pickup or trailer. I am taking donations for a fork lift if anyone has spare change. :-)
woodstuff wrote:
> I don't have a fork lift, so I pick up larger and heavier stuff at the > shipping terminals and use an overhead hoist to unload inside the shop from > the pickup or trailer. I am taking donations for a fork lift if anyone has > spare change. :-)
I wonder if lift gate charges have something to do with an area?
Here in L/A, the only trailers that aren't equipped with a lift gate are containers on trailers out for delivery/pickup to a job site and containers being run back and forth from the docks to the rail yards.
Everything I have delivered comes on a lift gate trailer and there is no notation of a lift gate surcharge on the invoice. Maybe it is hidden.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I expect that must be because of the large metro area -- most places there's a pretty steep surcharge (like in the $100 range) for lift gate service.
dpb wrote:
> I expect that must be because of the large metro area -- most places > there's a pretty steep surcharge (like in the $100 range) for lift gate > service.
At a $100/shot, a chain fall and an old pickup start looking pretty attractive.
Even the $20, Home Depot truck rental, comes into play.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote: | dpb wrote: | | > I expect that must be because of the large metro area -- most | places > there's a pretty steep surcharge (like in the $100 range) | for lift gate | > service. | | At a $100/shot, a chain fall and an old pickup start looking pretty | attractive. | | Even the $20, Home Depot truck rental, comes into play.
DIY pallet hauling isn't a reasonable alternative for me, and I'm perfectly happy to pay the trucking companies to do the hauling. Lift gate services are an extra cost option here in the greater DeSoto metropolitan area (a joke, folks - there are probably fewer than 1500 inhabitants, even if you include livestock and visitors from out-of-town) - and generally costs $50.
I'm happy to pay the truckers to do the hauling. What I want to do is eliminate the lift gate charges when they pick up loads at my shop. I could just charge this to my customers, but would prefer keep the cost down.
If/when I have a lot of outgoing shipments, a real fork lift will make sense. Until then I make-do. If I can, I'll make-do in style - after all, how many shops can boast "woody" fork lifts? :-)

Well then what if you took something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberF299 and made a platform?
Mark

My Performax 22/44, purchased from Amazon, was delivered with a lift gate to central Connecticut last December at no extra charge. My total delivery charge was $99.
I'd call my area "light suburban", compared to my travels around the country. The largest city within an hour's drive has ~ 150,000 residents, I live in a 55 sq/mile town of 50,000.
Another shocker was that the sander was AIR FREIGHTED from a WMH location (Memphis?) to BDL, where it got put on a ~ 24' straight truck.