Plans for a wooden forklift or pallet lifter/mover? (JT?)

Bob the Tomato wrote: > Morris, would it be possible to dig out a sunken truck ramp/dock? > That way, you are not lifting the load, you are lowering the truck > deck.

There was a time when houses were built with a set of steps down into the basement from the outside and covered with a door.

Known in my part of the world as "Cellar Steps".

Just had to be careful where you located them cuz a low spot was a bitch to keep the water out of the basement.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

| Morris, would it be possible to dig out a sunken truck ramp/dock? | That way, you are not lifting the load, you are lowering the truck | deck.

I can see that I need to post a few photos of the /outside/ of my shop. It's in an aircraft hanger in the highest (ground) traffic area of a small town airport.

If I built a dock or ramp (either sunken or raised) I'd be lynched posthaste by the other tenants /and/ by my landlord.

Morris Dovey

Bob the Tomato wrote: | What about a giant see-saw? You could put the pallet on a platform | on one end, then stack weights on the other end until it | counterbalances and raises the pallet to the truck deck height. | Then wheel up to the pallet with the driver's pallet jack and slide | it into the truck.

Kind of like a trebuchet, except that it doesn't actually /throw/ the pallet? :-)

Morris Dovey

I recently saw a video of a guy who is building a replica stonehenge

*by himself* using simple machines to gain the necessary leverage. Ahhh. here it is:

the Tomato

Reply to
Bob the Tomato

"Morris Dovey" wrote

It is not a bad idea Morris. I did something like this in a home gym installation many years ago. They wanted a machine to help out with the chinning bar but there was no room for it. It would assist folks who lacked the strength to do a chin.

In front of the chin bar was a piece of equipment that I drilled holes in. I welded up a lever that could be taken out and stored along one wall. It had a T one one end and a peg to hold weights on the other end. You piled some weights on, stood on the T, and started to do assisted chins.

I am not sure how practical it would be for you. But if you could roll the pallet out there, a movable fulcrum with a foldable lever would get the job done. And it would fold back up out of the way. And the whole process wouldn't take that long to set up, load, break down and put away.

If you put wheels on the fulcrum/base, you could roll the pallet right onto the truck. You could also make the lever on your end long enough, that your body weight would lift the pallet. Just put a knotted rope on it and pull it down to the ground while the other end rises to truck height.

As for the trebuchet idea, I always wanted to build one.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

RE: Subject

If you can locally (within 100 miles)get a 3,000 lb, propane operated fork lift, that is in operating condition, for under $500, case closed, unless you just need an excuse to build something.

Even if the bloody thing leaks a gallon of hydraulic fluid a week, throw down some kitty litter, and you are still ahead of the game.

Hell, a new aluminum propane tank for a fork lift is more than $100.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

How about a simple platform, 8' x 8' (two sheets of 3/4" ply) on a 2x8 frame with 2x6 joists (24" on center) supported by 4x6 posts at truck bed level. Build up your pallet on the platform, rather than on the ground, then just shift into truck.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

| How about a simple platform, 8' x 8' (two sheets of 3/4" ply) on | a 2x8 frame with 2x6 joists (24" on center) supported by 4x6 posts | at truck bed level. Build up your pallet on the platform, rather | than on the ground, then just shift into truck.

I just love usenet! ;-)

That would work if I put the platform on wheels and added an elevator to raise the items to go on the pallet.

Kinda like a fork lift that lets one raise the pallet, then build the load. :-)

Morris Dovey

How about a hydraulic lift table? Same idea ... plop the pallet down, build the load, wheel it to the truck, jack up the table. HF has them fairly reasonably priced. For your volume, a foot-operated table would be plenty good enough.

Cheaper than a hi-lo, probably has additional uses in your shop. (place to set Monday morning donuts & coffee for the crew ;-)

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit