Plans for a Shed

I have a brother (who lives in a different city) who is severely challenged when it comes to WW and carpentry skills. This same brother wishes to build a shed , about 10X10' on a concrete pad. I goggled around and found lots of sites and some discussion in the archives of this group on various plans. But I did not find anyone in this group who would recommend a particular vendor of good plans. Sooooo.... can someone recommend a vendor and/or a set of plans for a shed. Any other information, tips, ect, relevant to building a shed would be appreciated. Thanks for you help, JG

Try going to a store like Home Depot. They probably sell a shed kit with all materials and a plan. That should be the simplest route for your brother to take.
You probably didn't really get a recommendation because most of the plans are pretty Generic. A shed is a shed for the most part I do know that Lowes has a book or two on building sheds. I think it contains plans.
--
Young Carpenter

Heh. I got a shed kit from my usual (trusted) lumberyard. After the wood was delivered, I called and asked if they could fax me the plans to go with it. Sorry, no plans - we just fill out an estimation sheet and send the materials. Don't you know how to make a shed? So I called my Dad. Why do you need plans to build a shed? It's just like building your house, but without all the options. Just build it. So I'm just building it. So far so good :-)

About 12 years ago I went to 84 Lumber and bought a shed "kit". It included all the siding, ply, shingles, etc. to build a 10' x 12' little barn style shed. All of the materials were just pulled from standard stock, except that the frame was a number of pre-built "truss" type structures. Plans and such were included. I believe that I had to buy nails and paint separate if I remember correctly. Basically needed a skil-saw, hammer, screwdriver, ladder and paint brush to complete and it came out nice for a shed. Last time I drove past that house (I moved a few years later) it still looked great. I still see the "truss" units stacked outside of the local 84 Lumber and some other such yards, so they still sell these type of "kits".
Dave Hall
now that I look back at my reply I realized what a calloused carpenter remark i made :). To me it's a given to create a foundation, floor, walls and a roof. To some, they would say, "ah'yup but how?"
--
Young Carpenter

Any of the BORG sell plans, _and_ also sell complete sets of materials.
If his skills are as 'challenged' as you imply, he might also want to look at one of the metal/vinyl ones from somewhere like Sears.
JGS wrote:

Hank
Link to U-Build utility building plan, ( Plan no. 713) They also have other storage buildings and garden type shed plans http://www.u-bild.com/projects-outdoor/713.htm
CC

Link to U-Build value pack set of plans for 3 small sheds. built with 2x4's and plywood on concrete floors. set of plans cost $21.95 for all three
http://www.u-bild.com/value-packages/index.htm#C068
CC

Henry St.Pierre wrote:

for sheds. Hank
Thanks Hank. That explains why I could not find it. Cheers, JG
"Henry St.Pierre" wrote:

I'll say this. I was designing a shed and using all the books available, etc. I came up with a great shed. Big $$$'s though. I went over to home depot and walked into one of their sheds. Not much to them at all and very cheap to build yourself.
Go to home depot with a tablet and write down their design. Take a few pictures of the inside. If you use designs from books or if you try to design it yourself you'll tend to over design - meaning you'll build a shed that can survive a nuclear blast - but you really dont need one.
Perfect example is that I recently built a bridge. It cost about $250 in material. It will last at least 500 years. I could have built a darn good bridge for about $50.00. Would have lasted maybe 20 years.
Sam

All I can say is that I am glad that I overbuilt my shed. Hurricane Isabel hit us full force and I didn't even lose a shingle.
Montyhp