Planning MDF?

Page 2 of 2

Thanks to all who responded.
The piece in question was a zero clearance insert for my table saw.
I bought some 1/2 MDF, traced the original insert and routed the MDF with a pattern bit. Came out nice.
When I put it in the saw, I noticed that it stuck up above the table. Knowing that I needed to cut out where the saw has supports, I did that with a forsner bit. Still stuck. I found that my saw has a bit of a manufacturing "flaw". There is a slight lip on the bottom of the blade cutout that is not even with the top. I figured that I just needed to take out about 1/8 of an inch at these points I'd be happy. Hence my post.
What I did - I have a drum sander and all I needed to do was to slightly sand the edges where the MDF was catching. I did and it now fits fine!
I will be making more of these, so thanks for the tips about resawing. I think that might work. I also think if I just routed a rabbet around the outer edges that probably would work as well.
Again, thanks to all who helped me.
MJ
"MJ" wrote:

--------------------------------------- So why not chuck up a die grinding stone in a drill motor and clean up the lip (burr) at the bottom of the cut out opening?
Lew
Lew,

Gives me an excuse to buy a die grinder!
Thanks.
MJ

Set your router for the thickness to be removed, and remove the material just at those locations.
You could remove more than necessary, then drill and tap the wood for a set screw to adjust the height of the insert.
--
Jim in NC