planetor bits

After a looking around online I can't find any sources nor many references (last rec.woodworking reference was in 1998) for planetor bits. When still in production (and available) they were used to bore long straight holes in the ship building, electrical and pipe fitting trades. I once saw a set on Ebay, but that was months ago and haven't seen any since.
My intended use is to bore a hole in the endgrain of a piece of wood (maple, cherry, cocobola) about 20-24" long to make a wooden flute. The final inside diameter could be 11/16" up to 1" It is very important that the hole is straight.
Anyone out there had any experience with these bits? Know of a source? Have an alternative for boring holes like this? Thanks.
rah wrote:
> > My intended use is to bore a hole in the endgrain of a piece of wood (maple, > cherry, cocobola) about 20-24" long to make a wooden flute. The final > inside diameter could be 11/16" up to 1" It is very important that the > hole is straight.
Check out Jamestown Distributors for "Ships Augurs".
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I bought one at Ace Hardware. I've used it to drill through fire stops in load bearing partitions of a wood frame house. The tool is about 60 inches long with a six inch 3/4" auger bit on the end.

Never herd of that name, but the woodturners have a range of bits used for drilling lamp bases that can be used for long, dead-straight end grain holes.
Don't use an auger. They're intended for cross-grain work and will go askew if used end-on.
Greenlee tools, through an electrical distributor, or the big box stores handle some Greenlee items, should make them. I know that they make 18" ships auger bits, and there is an extension available for those bits. An interesting sidenote. Greenlee which makes conduiit benders, wire pullers, and a host of other items for the electrical industy, got their big start in Rockford, IL. The Greenlee brothers invented the hollow chisel mortising bit.

d.williams wrote:
> Greenlee tools, through an electrical distributor, or the big box stores > handle some Greenlee items, should make them.
They make good stuff.
Still have a set of chassis punches that are at least 45 years old.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

OK, I'm posting very late but an alltheweb search gave this as the first result http://www.wlfuller.com/html/woodchuck_drills.html Joe
Joe Gorman wrote:
> OK, I'm posting very late but an alltheweb search gave this as the first > result http://www.wlfuller.com/html/woodchuck_drills.html
Fuller makes great cutting tools.
They are located in Rhode Island and available thru Jamestown Distributors, also in Rhode Island.
Not sure if they are available in the UK.
SFWIW, Fuller and Greenlee both make tools, but are definitely are not competitors.
BTW, don't have a clue if Greenlee makes a "planetor" bit.
Lew