Planer question

I recently purchased a Delta planer so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. I am starting on a project that will require 4 oak posts. For the posts I am sawing 18" from a square newel post I have lying around and then I will cut that 18" piece lengthwise into 4 pieces. . The newel post is covered with polyuerethane. This means that the resulting 4 posts will each have two sides with poly on them. I'd love to run them thru my planer to peal off the poly. Do you think this will be too rough on the knives?
TIA.
Dick

Hate to recommend such a thing as a belt sander, but how about scraping and giving them a couple runs with first rather than gum up the blades.