Planer question

Page 3 of 6
On 09/13/2009 02:50 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Not buying it. If kickback were an issue, the european machines would have dealt with it. As it stands, they have guards that always cover the cutterhead and the stock slides under the guard. No provision whatsoever for kickback prevention.
Chris
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:06:07 -0600, Chris Friesen

I just tried a few boards on my DJ20 with no power. Every board could be easily pulled back through the safety guard, unlike a featherboard.
Add pictures here
✖

That has been my experience with my DJ-20 and the 6" Reliant before that... and the spring tension on the DJ-20 is significantly higher than the Reliant.
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 14, 5:24 pm, "John Grossbohlin"

And my 6" General grabs a board just nicely. . . . We can go on like this for a while, eh?
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

Guess we could treat it like a social science issue instead of a hard science issue here...
"The empirical evidence suggests that on average we can expect the guard on a jointer to fail to prevent kick back." Which lets outliers like the above mentioned General through while keeping the typical user safe by them not expecting the guard to prevent kick back.
If someone wants to turn it into a hard science experiment and report the results I'm for it...
H1: We can expect the guard on a jointer to fail to prevent kick back.
Got any engineers in the group who can conduct the testing? Hmmm... maybe I'll run this by Chris Schwarz... those guys always need ideas for articles!
John
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:

I think the point is, it was never designed to, nor intended to stop kickback.
Like another guy wrote, how come you don't (and won't, I'd guess) see it in any manuals.
We have one guy who claims his works and everyone else claiming theirs does not.
Yet if everyone in here went out to check their table saw guards (except those foolish enough to remove them), everyone would report back that the teeth held the board. If everyone in here went out to check their fingerboards, everyone would report back that they held the board.
--

-MIKE-

✖

Any idea how many here HAVE removed their TS guards?
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:

Is THAT what that thing was?
Add pictures here
✖

All serious table saw users have at one time or another removed the guard from their saw. So, the real questions are: How many serious table saw users do we have here, and does removing the guard make you a serious table saw user?
Puckdropper
✖
Puckdropper wrote:

There are obviously techniques for which one has to remove the guard. Not putting it back on is lazy and like I said, foolish. I won't apologize for saying that.
I find it ironic that the guy, who's admonishment of the OP for pulling the guard off his jointer precipitated the bulk of the debate in this thread, now has seemingly* taken offense to me criticizing the same thing.
(*seemingly, because I'm not for certain why it was said, so I can't go any further than to point out the potential irony.) :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖

THIS is 'seemingly' my taking 'offense'? ======================

======================
How do you reach that conclusion? You have NO idea how I feel about TS guards, on my- or others' saws.
You're making shit up out of whole cloth. With what purpose did you just do that?
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:

Holy cow, I went out of my way to give you the benefit of the doubt, which you omitted. I should've worded it better and for that, I apologize.
I figure the civility with which I've conducted this debate from the beginning would've warranted the same from you, when in fact I could've said from the very beginning that you're full of it... but didn't. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖

For that I am supposed to be grateful? Or are you pretending to be sanctimonious?
You're a Glenn Beck fan, ain'tcha?
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:

Smiley face. Lighten up.
The lengths people will go to keep from admitting they were wrong... and for such a trivial thing.
--

-MIKE-

✖

You ARE a Glen Beck fan!!! Kinda figured as much.
You see... I was NOT wrong. MY jointer grabs a board when I try to pull it backwards. Fact. Now YOU, who does not have that happen on YOUR jointer, is trying to tell ME that it doesn't happen on MY jointer. Which makes YOU full of shit...not me.
Are you getting this yet Big Guy?
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:

Ahh, you got your little feelings hurt and now you're lashing out.
Let me use little words and short sentences so you can understand.
I never said it didn't happen with your jointer.
You said the following... "The porkchop shaped guard works as a cam and will stop a normal piece of wood from flying backwards." "If set up properly, the cam action will impede the movement backwards."
In the context of these two quotes, you were referring to jointers in general, not your own.
A bunch of guys report back that it doesn't work their jointers. More guys report they can't find reference anywhere of anti-kickback ever being mentioned as a purpose or benefit of the blade guard. You still claim you are not wrong, because it works on yours.
Who's full of it?
--

-MIKE-

✖
[drivel snipped]

Shall I get you a saucer of milk?
Add pictures here
✖

Whose jointer was I talking about? Obviously not yours. But, hey, bro'... if you want to stick to your assumptions, go for it. I'm done here.
Add pictures here
✖
-MIKE- wrote:

He sure sounded like it to me...

My pork chop guard doesn't do anything on my jointer either, I actually had to go down to the shop to check, just like everyone else. Fortunately, whacking off 1/16th at a time doesn't seem to cause much kick back....

My guess is he's an Obama supporter, does that help you at all?
--
Jack
Got Change: Capitalism =====> Collectivism!
Robatoy wrote:

Seems it doesn't work for anyone else either, and, more important, doesn't seem to be a design feature of ANY ones jointer except yours, and, Glenn Beck has nothing to do with any of it.
My Delta wouldn't stop kick back either, but fortunately, in 33+ years of jointing with it, I never experienced kick back. Counting me and the other guy with 40 years w/o kickback, that would be 73 years experience w/o kickback. Just a thought, but perhaps that's why the guards are not designed to stop something that just doesn't happen.

Everyone gets it dude, you must be an Obama supporter, and obviously full of shit.
--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors ====> Government Motors!