planer or jointer for thicknessing

I recall in shop class Mr. Hardy would put you in line for a couple of licks if he caught any one using the jointer for any purpose other than to straighten an edge or flatten a surface. You were going to do it correctly or not at all. It seems like yesterday, 1968, when he looked every in the eye after making that threat. I remember something about not building on top of mistakes and working from a good foundation, that part was over my head at the time but the threat of the licks make the instructions much more clear.

Reply to
Leon

How about tapering legs? A common use for the jointer.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"Scott Lurndal" wrote

A good question, but not the same issue. The OP's was a question on the "thickness" of the piece, not on the tapering of a leg.

Tapering a leg is usually done below the area where the apron joins the leg, thus the area of the joinery is unaffected by using the jointer to do the taper, not to mention that a taper usually doesn't require the same precision that joinery does.

Reply to
Swingman

"Jim Hall" wrote

Not too worry ... only the small minded would quibble over a slip of the tongue when it's that obvious that you knew what you were about. Yours was probably the most informative post in the thread thus far.

Reply to
Swingman

Table Saw

Reply to
Leon

With a homemade tapering jig, yes sir.

S.

Reply to
samson

Same here, as long as it's a sled-style jig. Mine isn't on the web right now, but here is a similar version:

Some taper jigs (and many other jigs! don't get me going...) are SOOOOOO over complicated, so I totally understand why many skip this method.

A clamping sled jig is very comfortable to use, simple and fast to make, easily adjustable, totally repeatable, and suitable for any angle or number of faces. Another great reason to keep runner stock at the ready.

Hinge-style jigs are evil!

Reply to
B A R R Y

My latest taper jig is also the sled that I use to straighten 8' boards on the TS.

Reply to
Leon

I'm totally offended.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

This thread had me baffled for a few minutes

English reader, therefore assumed that planer referred to a jointer, and jointer referred to a.. er, ummm? jointer also Forgot that you chaps say planer when you mean "thicknesser", and you call a planer a "jointer." :-)

Not a big deal in _this_ case, I know, but potentially dangerous.. "just feed wood into the planer with your hand pressing down on top of the stock.." kinda thing. Not a great example, but you get the idea,

You say potato and I say tomatoe.. let's call the whole thing off.

A friend in Americaland was completely baffled by my campaign to stop parents parking - and driving - outside the local school on the "pavement." It took a few minutes for her to understand why I was so upset by this apparently correct behaviour. There are plenty of cases where we think we're talking about the same thing, make judgments and act accordingly. Wars have happened for less.

Anyhow up, any European readers - Check your definitions before assuming that what you think you understand is what was meant. "Rabbits" vs. "your money back," for example.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:39:35 +0100, Ken wrote (in article ):

Reply to
Bored Borg

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 02:07:18 +0100, Leon wrote (in article ):

Axe

Reply to
Bored Borg

bored Big Orange Retail Giant, or did your parents name you "Borg", or is "borg" a Britishism that I have not heard before?

Reply to
J. Clarke

You're not a tennis fan then?

Bob Martin

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:50:11 +0100, Bob Martin wrote (in article ):

I hope that clears things up.

actually, it's driven entirely by the e-mail address which was easy to remember but caused jawdrops of disbelief when given out. Don't try it - I've discontinued it 'cos of the huge amount of spam I got

Reply to
Bored Borg

Actually, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a jointer for this purpose... as long as it is a Stanley #7 or 8 or a similar model from another manufacturer.

Reply to
Larry W

Agreed ... but it's too bad that's not what the OP wanted to know.

Reply to
Swingman

Wow. Go away for a while and I missed all the fun. Comments embedded. Art

I didn't miss it. I understood you to say you'd use all 3 PT's in succession.

Didn't miss this either and you're right, I'm not overly concerned with this in the case of a table leg.

You seen to be missing the fact that most tools have many uses and capabilities. Admittedly each may be best for a particular use but it is not the sole tool that will do the job.

No. The OP stated that the leg was already "1) planed and shaped properly". The jointer can do the job just fine and, if properly set up, won't leave sniped ends like his benchtop planer will. Furthermore, only the inside edges of a table leg need to be square - one could trim the outside edges with an axe and it isn't going to make any difference in the leg being square to the aprons or floor. I stand by my original post - a jointer will do his job and any error isn't going to be noticed by eye.

Did you change your mind re the jointer or did you just leave it it out now to be argumentative?

I know you appear to be narrow minded, defensive, and arrogant.

Reply to
Artemus

Reply to
Artemus