Planer/Jointer

So I purchased a new woodworking book today, and they detail the use of a combination planer/ jointer. Do these exist still? Or rather are they still being made? Are they worth the purchase price? I am trying to figure out a way to only buy one of these toys as the basement is growing smaller with each week, but think I ultimately need both...

Reply to
megold.andrew

Yes and yes but I'm not sure what it is you've seen. The Hitachi P12RA is a side-by-side machine with a dedicated jointer and dedicated planer. Others might make one also. I believe Makita made one once upon a time.

are also machines that combine the two machines using the same cutter head like a Rojek (there are others). It requires that you choose the function and configure the machine (move the jointer bed out of the way to use it as a planer) at the time you are using it.

the long and the short of it is, yes they are still made.

I can't answer that. I will say that the Rojek style machines (there are other manufacturers) offer the nicety of a wider jointer (the same width as the planer built into the same machine). For that alone some people are tempted to have one.

Another neat little featurette of the Rojek is an available at any time slot mortiser add on.

I am trying to figure out a way to only buy one of these toys as the basement is

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

UA100 notes:

One kicker, or at least I think it may be: aren't most of those combo machines kind of short in the bed for jointers? I could be wrong (easily, here), but those I've seen do not have beds ove about 5' long.

Charlie Self "One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

The ones I have seen that are worth thinking about buying are European machines. They are, to say the least, impressive machines with and equally impressive price tag.

Reply to
Mike G

IIRC the Hitachi bed is about 3' long and the planer is just larger than a portable.

Reply to
Leon

I have a Makita planer joiner that I would like to get rid of . A super machine with an independant long bed 6" joiner and 12 " planer on a common base .

I used this machine on a daily basis un0til I got an 8" grizzele guts joiner and a 20" planer . the makita joiner actually has a longer bed than the 8" joiner.

the infeed /outfeed rollers need resurfacing, which can be done by most printing machine roller surfacing companies, cost is in the region of $200.

Reply to
mike hide

I have a Kity (European) 10" jointer and planer. If space is limited it has its advantages. As far as swopping from from mode to the other

- a pain. You can have mine. Joint everything, change to planer and get working. Find you have cut one piece short. Loose all your settings and change over. Painful. I am really considering getting another planer and leaving the Kity as a dedicated jointer, the bed is a bit short (1.3m) but it suits me . You might not see the changing options as a problem and then it will work for you. As far as I am concerned I am sorry I ever bought a combination machine, will never consider it again.

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Thanks for confirming my decision to go with seperate machines Phil. I almost went with a KITY machine myself but didn't want to be changing and swapping modes all the time (I get annoyed enough when constantly changing drill bits!)

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Reply to
Jim Behning

And peoples keep asking, "Why do you own so many routers?". Too many routers! It's onna count of I own too many bits dammit!

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

One of these days they'll wake up to themselves and sell a bit that comes with a free router.

(If you consider the prices of bits and routers, that is not as silly as it sounds).

Groggy

Reply to
Groggy

Hi Greg, Another thing I forgot is that the planer is under the jointer table. You have to constantly bend to feed the material. I seem to remember you are over 6' so it would be worse for you than it is for me. The exit is hidden by the infeed table so short pieces sometimes get stuck and you have to put hands underneath to remove it with a very good chance of getting a finger caught. Stay with separates. Cheers

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Yes, and I have one. They actually tend to be high end equipment, since what they give you is an ultra wide jointer.

The lowest end of that type is probably Inca, a 10" width, with crappy plastic parts (if I sound bitter, I was glad to get rid of it), the other companies that make them are all European combinaton machine companies: Felder (who also reps Hammer), MiniMax and Laguna (who also reps Knapp, which makes Felder look cheap).

I have the Felder, and find it excellent. Their tech support is also great. I have a MiniMax bandsaw, and find their company also first rate. Both machines have user groups in Yahoo/Groups. I don't have a Laguna, so I can't comment on it.

A friend has the Hammer, and it's really a lowere end Felder, with less adjusting capability. These machines can run from $3000 and up, I think the Knapp may be close to $10,000.

If you are putting one in the basement, realize that, except for the Inca (which has incredibly small tables, and all plastic gears), they weigh about

1,000 pounds and up. Lots of mass, lots of cast iron, very little vibration. The Ffelder needs a 220v, 30amp circuit.
Reply to
DarylRos

Surprised you didn't mention Hitachi. They have what appears to be a decent planer/jointer.

Upscale

I came across this little Hitachi for the first time recently when looking through some used machinery listings. Anyone have experience with one? Is there only one motor? Nice and small which would be a benefit I guess, but the jointer bed looks short.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

Small, but doesn't mean you can stay in a small room with it. It's noisier'n hell, and the one I used had those special "friable" feed rollers. Bed was about the same as my 4" Rockwell, but quality nowhere near.

The one pictured has had a sheet-metal revision over the motor area, but looks otherwise the same.

A real jointer with a quiet induction motor and a lunchbox screamer would take up less space if you built the jointer stand and stored the planer there.

Reply to
George

Mini-max sells a combo jointer/planer that looks very similar to the Rojek for $4300. 12x59 cast iron jointer, 12" planer, lots of cast iron. A bit spendy but a nice looking machine.

sells a combo which is much cheaper at $600. 10x39" jointer, 10" planer. Mostly aluminum. I think I would pass.

Tim