Planer cutting tapered boards

Hey, Gang...

...I've got a Delta 22-580 2-speed planer and the oak that I'm trying to mill to size is coming out patered from side to side...alot! .030" in a 5 inch wide part. But when I run a short piece of the same wood (8"wide) thru it, it's only .010" tapered. Blades are have been changed recently...just before Xmas and haven't run much thru it since then, but I did reseat them, just in case.

Any ideas? Is there some way to adjust the elevator screws for the head?

Oh, and I did try a google search and either I'm too dumb to figure out the right search words or there isn't anything about this out there.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

By tapered do you mean that one side of the board comes out thinner than the other side?

If so, is your wood perfectly flat? If the wood is not flat and you have the cupped side down the piece can rock and cause one side to be planed more than the other.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, tapered from side to side.

I thought of that...the wood is as flat as I can check it coming off the jointer.

The process was joint a face, then an edge, rip just to clean the OTHER edge up, resaw to 5/8" from about 1"...kinda variable on the starting thinkness, but all the pieces were about the same...within 1/16"

And yes, I did check the flatness of the jointed face after resaw...well, after I found them to come out tapered and they are still as flat as I can measure.

Mike

recently...just

Reply to
The Davenports

Sounds like the planer is out of alignment. It can happen. It happened to me when I had a brain spasm and tried to lower the cutter head without loosening the lock first.

One of the woodworking mags had an article about making the adjustment recently. I think it was either PW or FWW. Basically, you take off the bottom cover of the planer and remove one of the chain sprockets. Then you turn one screw only to adjust one side of the cutter head up or down. Use a block of wood as a gauge block to be sure the cutter head is parallel to the bed of the planer. Then re-attach the sprocket and the cover.

It would pay to track down the article before you did the adjustment. There were some good tips in there. Hopefully someone will remember where it is. Right now I don't, and I can't seem to find it.

David

remove the key to email me.

Reply to
J Pagona aka Y.B.

Thanks...I'll look into it. That's kinda what I thought it was.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

Unless it "fell off the back of a truck" why don't you just call Delta?

Reply to
Mike G

First recheck the exposure on your knives, using something besides the gage you used to set them. Could be them, and they're a hell of a lot easier to adjust.

Reply to
George

A coworker of mine had the same problem with that planer. It turned out that the sheet metal bed had a radius bent in it that was interfering with the edge of the casting, causing the bed to be lifted on one side. I don't remember how he resolved it - either by bending it a bit, filing a chamfer, or getting a replacement from Delta.

Reply to
Scott Post

His planer has not setting gauge. They are indexed on pins and cannot be adjusted. -- Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
George

Yep..not cheap at anywhere from $32. to $40.usd for a set. But they are double edge, which helps.

I also sometimes cheat a little and hone the faces if they are "just a little dull". Not this time, tho...they are fresh...I will try flipping them to see if maybe one edge was ground poorly.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

Check your user manual for instructions on leveling the table or the cutter head on the planner

Want to say that in the last year or so there was an article on how to do this, but right now I am drawing a blank on what magazine or issue

If no one else chimes in with that information, repost asking me to look it up and I will take time to check my stack of magazines

John

Reply to
John Crea

Lowes has the best price on them, about $29. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep...already checked the book...absolutely nothing about taper and/or removing said taper.

If you can find the info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports