Planer and drift wood

Will I damage my planer by putting some really dry drift wood from salt water through it. The wood is really hard and dry?

Careful! There a good chance there's embedded sand (or worse) in the wood.
You'll nick your blades to smithereens. Tom

Belt sand it first, but still be ready to sharpen/replace the planer blades.
Dave
"Dan Jefferson" wrote:

You won't do them any good.
I'm curious, with all the neat things you can do with drift wood, why would you want to put it thru a planer?
Lew
Wanted to flatten it to make a small stool or table.

OK, fine, but why _driftwood_ for heaven's sake? Can't you find something that's a bit closer to flat already?

--
Regards,
Dan Jefferson wrote:

In that case, why not sand it?
You would be amazed what some 24 grit discs on a right angle sander can achieve.
(BTW, it's a basic boat building tool.)
Use a straight edge as a batten, to find the high spots as you go.
When you get close, switch to a fairing board.
Since this is a relatively small piece, you won't need a big fairing board.
Mount some 24 grit flooring paper on a wooden concrete float with some rubber cement and you are off and running with a one hand fairing board about 3"-4" wide, 18" long.
Lew
Great idea and much thanks. Have plenty of sand paper and lots of the required resources.
Dan J

Dan Jefferson wrote:

You're welcome.
BTW, don't waste your time with anything finer than 36 grit.
If you try, your arms will fall of before you finish<G>.
Been there, done that, screw the tee shirt, bring the cold beer.
Lew

If it's anything like the driftwood on the Upper Left Coast, it will have sand, shells, bits of shell, mebbe rocks, and perhaps a critter or three. Depending on the original source, it could also have nails, spikes, bob wire and bullets. How much do you like your planer?
Assuming no metal in the wood, this is a good project for blades that need to be sharpened anyways. Dave