Planer

Anyone have experience with the Mastercraft 12 1/2" planer from Canadian tire

Reply to
Chris

I just happen to have one. Mine has the extra set of single sided knives, while a friend got one with only one set of double sided knives. Tools are included to reset the knives and disassemble the unit for maintenance. The extra knives are good - it means I can send them in for resharpening (with other stuff) and keep on making shavings. Longer solid feed tables would have been nice, but this is a portable unit (weighs 70 lbs)

When I first got it, I was planing down a 12" wide spruce board 3/4" thick to 1/2 " thick. This was a good wood as any to practice with and I had a lot of fun making bushels and bushels of shavings. Then one day the 'main' drive belt broke. It looks like its made of rubber band material. Called the hotline and was directed to a local dealer who had stock - bought 2. Local dealer was Delta. This is a clue to the manufacturer.

Then 2 yrs later one of the feed roller chains stretched and broke. A feed roller dried out and began to bind. Got the replacement under warrany. While waiting for it I want to a local bike shop and got a

10 ft length of BMX bike chain and some extra connector links for under 10$. This is the same type of chain. At the same time I took most everything apart and cleaned/lubed moving parts. I used Lubriplate mixed with Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Also called Morey's Oil Additive or XM-5. That local dealer will do the maintenance/repairs for you for a handfull of money.

Basic rules of use (for most any planer) apply.

Pete

Reply to
cselby