Planemaker's Float

I recently ran across several references to a 'planemaker's float' as a useful tool for making wooden planes. DAGS turned up a number of references and even an article on how to make them, but nothing describing how to use one.

The tool itself is a triangular-shaped rasp with coarse teeth and it is apparently used to tune up the throat on a plane. But what exactly does it do and how?

rcook5

it works just like a file. that's all it is but with really coarse teeth. they come in different shapes to get into different area's. but they work just like a file does but quicker.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Thanks Steve, but let me rephrase the question since I don't think I was clear the first time.

What is the use of a float in making wooden planes? Where do you use them (throat, etc.?) and why a special tool? The stuff I found indicates you can get by without them but they make life easier.

rcook5

You know that cut out area that the wedge fits down into on a woodie? A triangular float makes it easier to cut that area out. You can do it with a chisel, but I've seen it done with a float and it looked a lot easier.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I had thought the question a bit odd (G) they are used on the inside. to adjust the bed and the cheek slots and other parts. they are designed to work well on endgrain. they cut faster then most files. but if you get some course files sharpened at Boggs they will work well too. you can also make scrapers out of old files. just cut an end at 90 degrees and flatten it and all 4 sides it will scrape well.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Thanks Steve. That explains it.

--RC

rcook5

Thanks Dave. I think I see why planemakers go to the trouble of getting/making floats now.

--RC

rcook5

Got the link to the article for making them? I DAGS-ded for quite a while and couldn't find it...

Reply to
AAvK

couldn't find it...

There are two of them that I found. The short form is:

more comprehensive version is at:
its sequels.

--RC

rcook5

A couple of awesome sites! Thanks very much. I have been very intrigued at the idea of making my own router replacers and dado and groove cutters. One important type to have is skew angled shoulder planes, no one makes them currently, neither Steve nor Gordon and if C&W does, too high on the ol' $$$. So far I've bought three.

Reply to
AAvK