Plane tuning resources?

My first bench plane arrived today, an antique Stanley #5.
Anybody have any favorite plane reference material, on or off-line, that they would like to recommend? I'm looking to overhaul this baby, flatten the sole, and get it cutting super smoothly.
Thanks, Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

See: http://www.yesterdaystools.com/tuninga1.htm
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Here are some of my links to plane tuning sites, etc.
http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/metalplanetune.shtml http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/japanning.shtml http://www.yesterdaystools.com/tuninga1.htm http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?s 12ce80850d611b32aa8724d86ef1a5&forumid=4
http://host65.ipowerweb.com/~traditi2/forum/index.php http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/index.html http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm http://www.geocities.com/plybench/plane.html http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt072_qtpop.asp
Gary
in message

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/fw_feat_tools.asp
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote in message : My first bench plane arrived today, an antique Stanley #5. : : Anybody have any favorite plane reference material, on or off-line, : that they would like to recommend? I'm looking to overhaul this baby, : flatten the sole, and get it cutting super smoothly.
Please try my web site - Planing Notes.
Jeff G
-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website www.amgron.clara.net
message

Before you go to the trouble of flattening the sole, why not give it a try as is? Sharpen the iron and go for it on a piece of scrap. You might find it works fine, which will allow you to spend your time planing instead of preparing to plane. Good luck.
Cheers, Mike
On 13 Oct 2003 15:09:49 -0700, half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote:

I did.
The sole is very far from flat.