Planar Snipe(TP300)

I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300)
I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the plane I get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can this be corrected.
Thanks.

Planner. Planar is entirely different

I don't know about the Delta, but I lived with snipe on my Makita for a while, but then I read the instruction book, adjusted the infeed and outfeed tables, and the snipe went away.
Have you read the instructions?

Planer. Planner is entirely different
Planner = someone who plans things
Planar = lying within a plane
Planer = wooddorking instrument that strips flesh from bones (aka thicknesser)
;-)
Groggy
I was PLANNING on reading the instructions for the PLANER, but have yet to do so.

And a Planer is yet something else. <G>
Do you prefer PocketPC, Palm OS, or paper?
Barry

Geez, you guys got no sence of humour!

If I didn't, I wouldn't have asked!
I usually get nailed by my own spell check, which makes for some interesting postings. <G>
Barry

Lift the back end of the board slightly as it's starting through the blades. I have the same planer and get very good results.
Lift the leading edge as it's exiting to avoid snipe at the back end.

In other words, if it can't be corrected by instruction in the booklet...get a refund.
Alex

I recently bought the same planer and I see the same thing, always at the leading end but never at the trailing end. I think it has something to feeding technique, because sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. I've tried to figure out what I do differently when it doesn't but haven't yet. Making the last pass very light, about 1/8 crank down, seems to help. I've read that making a secondary platen with a long flat board helps, but I haven't tried it yet. If you come up with anything I'd sure like to hear about it.
By the way, I love the machine. I've wanted a planer for a long time and Amazon had an offer I couldn't refuse. It may not be pro quality, but it's good enough for me.
Don
A low outfeed will cause snipe. Try adjusting your outfeed table to the proper height. Easiest way I've found is joint a board and then joint it again but stop it after about 4-6" has passed the blades. Shut off the motor and check to see if the board is touching the outfeed table. If you can get a thin (couple of thous or 0.015) feeler gauge under it, raise the outfeed to remove the gap. It's unlikely you'll find that your outfeed is currently too high.
David
stoutman wrote:

I read the OP post wrong. Thought the snipe was on a jointer!
David
David wrote:

You were right about a possible cause, though!
Barry
How long is the snipe? It should only be on one end, usually less than an inch or so. If I am running into this problem (rarely since I made a secondary platen) I just trim it off. Usually I allow an extra 3" of length on my stock for cutting. That leaves me enough to accommodate any potential snipe and/or cutting problems. Yeah, I know. It should not happen on a good tool and it is annoying. You can fuss with it or you can work around it. I made the platen to work around it. Good luck ..
stoutman wrote:

Fri, Dec 31, 2004, 10:27pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@a.com (stoutman) wants to know: I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300) I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the plane I get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can this be corrected.
No prob, a little bondo will take care of that.
An interesting thing, I've ran pieces thru my planer using my planer sled. The pieces are a bit shorter than the sled, and I've not seen any snipe at all. I don't know if longer pieces would have snipe, or not. I'll have to check that some time.
JOAT People without "things" are just intelligent animals.