Planar Snipe(TP300)

I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300)

I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the plane I get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can this be corrected.

Thanks.

Reply to
stoutman

Planner. Planar is entirely different

I don't know about the Delta, but I lived with snipe on my Makita for a while, but then I read the instruction book, adjusted the infeed and outfeed tables, and the snipe went away.

Have you read the instructions?

Reply to
toller

Lift the back end of the board slightly as it's starting through the blades. I have the same planer and get very good results.

Lift the leading edge as it's exiting to avoid snipe at the back end.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Planer. Planner is entirely different

Planner = someone who plans things

Planar = lying within a plane

Planer = wooddorking instrument that strips flesh from bones (aka thicknesser)

;-)

Groggy

Reply to
Groggy

I was PLANNING on reading the instructions for the PLANER, but have yet to do so.

Reply to
stoutman

"stoutman" wrote in news:bnkBd.580$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

I recently bought the same planer and I see the same thing, always at the leading end but never at the trailing end. I think it has something to feeding technique, because sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. I've tried to figure out what I do differently when it doesn't but haven't yet. Making the last pass very light, about 1/8 crank down, seems to help. I've read that making a secondary platen with a long flat board helps, but I haven't tried it yet. If you come up with anything I'd sure like to hear about it.

By the way, I love the machine. I've wanted a planer for a long time and Amazon had an offer I couldn't refuse. It may not be pro quality, but it's good enough for me.

Don

Reply to
Don Wheeler

In other words, if it can't be corrected by instruction in the booklet...get a refund.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

And a Planer is yet something else.

Do you prefer PocketPC, Palm OS, or paper?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

A low outfeed will cause snipe. Try adjusting your outfeed table to the proper height. Easiest way I've found is joint a board and then joint it again but stop it after about 4-6" has passed the blades. Shut off the motor and check to see if the board is touching the outfeed table. If you can get a thin (couple of thous or 0.015) feeler gauge under it, raise the outfeed to remove the gap. It's unlikely you'll find that your outfeed is currently too high.

David

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
David

I read the OP post wrong. Thought the snipe was on a jointer!

David

David wrote:

Reply to
David

You were right about a possible cause, though!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Reply to
DIYGUY

Geez, you guys got no sence of humour!

Reply to
toller

If I didn't, I wouldn't have asked!

I usually get nailed by my own spell check, which makes for some interesting postings.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Fri, Dec 31, 2004, 10:27pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@a.com (stoutman) wants to know: I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300) I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the plane I get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can this be corrected.

No prob, a little bondo will take care of that.

An interesting thing, I've ran pieces thru my planer using my planer sled. The pieces are a bit shorter than the sled, and I've not seen any snipe at all. I don't know if longer pieces would have snipe, or not. I'll have to check that some time.

JOAT People without "things" are just intelligent animals.

Reply to
J T