Plan for Glass Front Drawers

A few months ago I built a closet organizer for my wife. I left space for a dresser and am ready to get started on it.

I have seen pictures of built-in dressers with drawers that have a glass front so that you can see what is inside the drawer. I thought that this was a nice feature and would like to build my drawers this way.

I have looked around and I can't seem to find any plans that show how to build a drawer with a glass front. I was thinking that I could use a shaper with a raised panel bit to make the frame pieces and then use a piece of glass for the panel. The only problem with this approach is that once I put it together, I have no way of replacing the glass if it breaks.

I was wondering if anyone else out there had built drawers with a glass front and could provide me with some hints and tips.

Thanks.

John Seattle, WA

Reply to
John Gehlsen

John asks:

Use the same kind of panel retainers you'd use in a glass door. Make the frame & panel, chisel out the back strips, and use the push-in or nail in retainers. I know Rockler sells them. Lee Valley does, too.

Check out the particular retainer before cutting the stiles and rails. Some have a need for an extra groove.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self