Placed order for a Grizzly G1023S today!

Hi, I placed my order for my new saw today. Finally decided on a Grizzly G1023S Cabinet saw. It should be here early next week. Has anyone got any suggesstions about the assembly, such as any tricks or anything to watch for or any steps you have to follow?
Thanks,
Tony

watch
I don't have that particular model but something similar. Here are a few quick tips:
1 - Have another person on standby for assembly. Attaching the cast iron wings requires a second set of hands to hold them in place and flush while you add the nuts and bolts. That second person will also help you lift/maneuver the components as needed. Some are heavy! 2 - Position the base in the spot you want to keep it before you assemble anything! It's twice the weight once you add the top. 3- While the top is off and you have easy access to the insides, use dry lube of some variety to lube up the trunnions and other moving parts. 4 - If your rails do not have a tape measure pre-installed and you are provided with a sticky back measure to apply yourself, ensure this goes on parallel to the rails for best accuracy. You will need to build your rip fence supplied with the machine first and square it up before applying the measure tape (that was the case on my saw anyway). 5 - Spend an hour or three squaring up your table top, fence and miter slots to the blade. Will save you hassles later.
Im sure there are more things here others will add to.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw - Triton Powered Respirator - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo - Band Saw Handbook ------------------------------------------------------------
I have one. It went together pretty easy.

You can get by without someone else with this saw. The wings are only about 30 lbs.

Good idea. Now is the time to put it on a mobile base.

The top won't be off. You can do this anytime.
You do have a plug for it don't you? If not you have to buy one before you can plug it in. I took this opportunity to put a longer cord on it as well.
Finally, don't listen to those guys who advocate gallons of kerosene etc. to remove the cosmolene. Simply take a sharp scraper or razor blade and scrape the bulk of it off. Then you will just need a few paper towels and a little bit of solvent to get the rest off. The other way is not healthy and is wasteful.
Oh, and the manual isn't so clear about where the washers go on the front rail. They should go under the angle, not between the square tube and the angle.
Jack

Which should be kerosene. It's far and away the most effective and safest solvent to use for cosmolene. Don't listen to those guys who advocate something else.

Yeah, if you drink it...

Of what? You're going to use a solvent one way or another. What's wrong with kerosene?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

scrape
little
I agree.

or if you spend an hour breathing fumes in an enclosed room

My point is that scraping the bulk of the cosmolene off is fast, free and easy and that to clean up the remaining stuff you will use LESS solvent. I can't imagine how long it would take to get all that stuff off just using solvent and rags but I think it would take longer than scraping and cleaning up with a bit of solvent after.
Nothing is wrong with kerosene as that solvent. I didn't say there was. It is better than a lot of other things.
-Jack
I ordered the 5hp version and set it up about 10 days ago. I was really surprised at how dead on the miter slots were to the blade. They were perfect. Even the miter guage came in at 90 degrees out of the box. I believe mine has a different Shop Fox fence from yours, but I'm also impressed with the ease of adjusting the alignment and perpendicularity to the table. I never took the top off, but it would have been a lot easier to get down to the cellar if I had. I didn't want to have to take a chance of knocking it out of line. I also never had help putting the wings on. It was a little tricky, but it is possible. Overall, I thing Grizzly quality gets better and better. Good service too. I ordered on the internet on a Thursday night for delivery to Iowa. Friday morning a truck driver called to be sure I'd be home to help unload on Monday.
Art L.
Tony wrote:

I have that saw, it went together fine. My miter slots were not that parallel to the blade and and had to work that out, but overall, I like it - certainly more power than I can ever imagine needing.
The only tip I would give you is not to get in a hurry when it comes to putting the wings on and making sure they are level with the table. This is key not only for quality of cuts, but in the smooth operation of the fence. I used mineral spirts to get the cosmolene off the table and wings, but have learned since that there are better methods.
Don

watch
Hi, what is a good way to remove the shipping grease?
Tony

it -

is
fence.
have
brought forth from the murky depths:

I prefer low/no-odor mineral spirits for most cleaning, but when I want something squeaky clean in an instant, lacquer thinner works very well (on unpainted parts.)
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Tue, 18 May 2004 07:11:38 -0700, Larry Jaques

Kerosene is excellent as well, and it's cheap. It smells though!
Barry
Congrats Tony, you're going to love the saw. I love mine. Unlike DJ, my miter slots came square to 0.0012 right out of the box. Give yourself a couple hours to clean it off, attach the side wings (which you CAN do yourself), and attach the fence. For cleaning I used carb cleaner from the auto parts store. Works like a charm, but the VERY careful not to get any on the paint. It'll take that off too. And also make sure you're in a very well ventilated area.
Let us know how it goes.
Brian.

This

I thought kerosene worked OK for me, and seemed not to threaten to blow up the shop. I've used a citrus-based degreaser for smaller items, particularly when at the adult ed shop, where the lawyers have asked that we not use flammables, if at all possible. Seemed to work all right, but more expensive, maybe. I don't know if I'd like to clean a cabinet saw properly coated for transoceanic surface shipping with the stuff.
Lotsa rags or good paper towels. Latex/vinyl gloves. Good ventilation. Patience. Proper disposal techniques for the crud.
One fire rather blows the whole, fun, 'new saw' experience all to heck.
Patriarch
On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:13:17 -0400, Tony wrote:

Go to the Griz web site and download the latest manual. My 1022 came with a badly out of date manual, but the one on the site was very good.
--
Joe Wells

Tony,
I ordered the same model on the 15th. It is already available for delivery/ or pickup in Minneapolis. The estimate put it between the 24th and 28th. I opted to pick it up at the depot this evening. Not too shabby.
The falling prices on this model made it too hard to resist. My other choices were the G1023S110 and the G0444z. All three required a power upgrade to my shop (garage). I figured I might as well go with the 220 3hp.
The timing of your question was perfect. I plan to use the comments and suggestions in the replies to your post when assembling mine. Thank you and good luck with yours.
Eric

Hi Eric, I wish u luck with yours to. I placed the order for my saw Mon. and it's to be delivered Fri, 2morrow, nope not bad. I had ordered a General Builders saw, but was kept being put off on when they'd be in, so cancelled the order mon. Morn. and ordered the 1023S. Oh, where in MN do u live? I have a sis. that lives in St. Cloud. I'm in Knoxville, TN.
Cya,
Tony

Grizzly
got
watch

Tony,
I live about a half an hour from St. Cloud in Albertville
Enjoy the saw,
Eric
Thanks Eric, hope you enjoy yours to.
Cya...
Tony

Mon.
so
do u

Tony, I have the same saw. This saw was the easiest cabinet saw I ever put together.I have put about 15 cabinet saws together, Jet, Delta, powermatic etc. If you have a helper he would come in handy. Took me about 1 1/2 hrs to get up and running after unpacking and removing protective coating. I imagine for someone who has not done this before it may take the better part of a day. One hint, if you bought the saw with the standard rails and you want more capacity, you can move the rails to the right for a 38" rip. Grizzly supplies the tap and drill with the saw. The trade off is you cannot rip to the left of the blade, in 42 years I don't recall ever ripping to the left of the blade.
mike
That's an excellent suggestion that I hadn't thought of. I have a left tilt saw of the same make and I can't imagine there being a difference as far as the fence is concerned. How do you know how far to go to the right?
Don

Grizzly
got
watch