Pivot legs for hinged bench?

The miter saw bench I'm building along a wall wants to stick out into the auto repair/mtnc area of the shop, so I'm thinkin' hinges. It's the legs that are giving me pause, though. Wonder if the weight of saw, and all the other detritus, will help prevent the occasional bump it'll get (not from cars, but myself), knocking a leg out from under it. Maybe a stretcher between each leg? Two stretchers, top and bottom? Anyone have any experience with this? The bench is in two pieces, one 11 feet long, 24 inces deep, 3/4 particle board. the other only 5 feet, but they keep looking heavier the more I think about how to do this! Thanks. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
Tom thought it a good use of my time to say:

Get brackets for a drop-leaf table, or boot(trunk)brackets from those little english cars(triumph, mgb). it's kind of a two-piece telescoping deal with a lock at full extension.