pitch pockets in pine

I have run into a couple of large pitch pockets in some trim I put up on my back porch, and I don't really know what to do with it to facilitate finishing. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz

scrub it down with paint thinner to get the wet pitch out of there. if necessary use a knife or chisel to open up the pocket a bit. then give it a good coat or 2 of shellac. when that dries, fill the hole and paint.

Reply to
bridger

Clean the pockets out and then fill with a good wood filler that can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes then sand it smooth. If your going to be using a stained finish you can get it in different colors but be aware the filler will darken some after you finish the wood.

Reply to
Babbling Brook Photography