pitch pockets in pine

I have run into a couple of large pitch pockets in some trim I put up on my back porch, and I don't really know what to do with it to facilitate finishing. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Charlie
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:34:12 -0500, "Charlie Mraz"

scrub it down with paint thinner to get the wet pitch out of there. if necessary use a knife or chisel to open up the pocket a bit. then give it a good coat or 2 of shellac. when that dries, fill the hole and paint.
Clean the pockets out and then fill with a good wood filler that can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes then sand it smooth. If your going to be using a stained finish you can get it in different colors but be aware the filler will darken some after you finish the wood.
--
Babbling Brook Photography