Piston Hinge??

Im in the process of making a window seat for a client. She wants the top to open for storage underneith. She said that she had one in her old house where she could open it - it would say in place - then all she would have to do is close it abit - and it would slowly close by itself the rest of the way. I looked in the local borg but they had just standard toybox hinges where they would stay up and you have to close them. She didnt know what kind they were - but by what she is saying they almost sound like some type of piston hinge. I searched around a bit and done really see anything like that. Can someone help me out? Has anyone seen a type of hinge that works like that?
Thanks -Rob
--
Thanks,
Rob

You can reply to me at
Sounds like a gas strut. You can find those in autos for holding up hatchback doors, pickup truck topper windows, etc. Not the hinge itself though.
John

Get a Lee Valley catalogue and use their toybox lid stay. It's the best one I've seen. A viscous damper, AFAIR.
Gas struts are a bad idea. They avoid slamming shut on fingers, but they also stiffen up at the bottom of the stroke and they may need a catch to hold them shut.
I don't recall seeing a hinge with this feature designed in, but perhaps you could use a automotive hatchback or hood strut.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
The device I got from www.wwhardware.com allows the blanket chest lid to float down as it closes. Sorry I don't know the part number but they had an array with different parameters to select from. Sure happy with whatever I bought.

Those were them.
Thanks