Pissed off at Home Depot. (Rant)

Page 4 of 6

Joe wrote:

What, in what you quoted, says anything about being pissed off at Home Depot, other than the topic. You need to learn how to read before you reply. You also need to learn how to bottom post.
Sheesh, some people don't have any brains at all.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SNIPPO

I quit a few years back fairly easily even though I am around smokers a lot. I was going along great until a couple months ago when I got a new cell phone. It is fairly small and light so I took to sticking it in my shirt pocket. I couldn't quite figure out why I started feeling the "urge" every once in a while until once when driving I did the old habitual touch of the pocket that often proceeded getting out a smoke. I then realized that the weight in the shirt pocket was bringing back old responses.
Dave Hall
On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:27:46 -0400, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow"

Ditto, but I'm DAMNED glad I quit both. My smoking (2 packs/day, 100s) ended just about 3 years after my sobriety began. I'm much healthier and happier now.
P.S: Is OUR room ready yet? ;)
------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
Larry Jaques wrote:

Oh yes, and congrats to you as well. I'm sure you'll make it, it's only a few weeks away :)
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

No, garbage is not OK. It may have been just fine at the factory and been damaged in transit or droipped in the store. I don't know and neither does anyone else. Could have been rough seas on the way from China.

Since the policy is 90 days, they should accommodate you. A store as large as HD just can't have people at the bottom end interpreting policy. It could make one hell of a mess. I think tose rules are pretty much roles, not just guidlines.

That is why I'd probably hire you as my contractor. When your company reaches $100 million in sales, you'll have to rely more on the written policy and interpretation of that policy by your underlings. I hope you can still maintain the level of service.
I'm glad you did get a resolution though.
wrote in message news:design-

Did you know that Southwest Airlines, one of the VERY few airlines to be making money these days, allows ANY customer-contact employee to "interpret" company policy on the spot if required in order to satisfy a customer? They only require their employees to use good judgement...their _own_ good judgement. And those are some pretty low-paid employees...most probably making less than HD employees.
And Southwest makes one shit-pot-full of money in the toughest industry (currently) around.
I agree with Robatoy...these aren't rules. In a well-run company, they are guidelines.

So take it back to the store and remind them of their policy. If that fails, their Canadian toll-free customer service number is on their web site.
For that matter, call them first and have them call the store.
You got an answer you didn't like at the store, after screwing up yourself, then bitched there was no email address when you could have picked up the phone and talked to somebody at corporate who may have been able to set things right.
Call them.
Robatoy wrote:

One of the reasons I buy new power tools down at Chase Pitkin - Lifetime warranty on all power tools - all brands. It's worth the trip to Rochester(or if we're cruising by...).
Rob

Never buy "nifty" tools.
Sorry, but no sympathy here.
B&D make crap. You know this.
They're a shop, not a rental place. Now in my book, '30 days and return for "I don't like this"' is pretty generous anyway. But there's no other way to know if the thing is any good, so I guess that's their cost downside against the upside of having a self-service warehouse instead of a shop with real staff.
But the rules are pretty plain. _30_days_. A whole month. You don't need that long to work out if the thing is tolerably "fit for purpose", you can do that in an afternoon. So for a returns policy that's already pretty generous, you're just taking the piss here.

Ever heard of a guarantee of merchantability?
If not, read-up on it. By the looks of your pissy post, you have a lot to learn.
On Thu, 12 May 2005 00:46:59 GMT, "Mark Cooper"
Of course - if the OP had bought one of the self-immolating "Firestorm" drills from B&D, he'd have a point.
But who's arguing that the tool here isn't "of merchantable quality" (as my local laws phrase it) ? The question is whether the buyer has an entitlement to replace it simply because they don't like it (for whatever reason) rather than arguing the stronger claim that the tool is not at all merchantable.
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Two weeks ago someone tried to give me three, brand new in the box, "Firestorm" cordless drills, and two of BD's version of the cordless multisaw, all still under plastic ... it raised some eyebrows when I said no thank you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Home Depot and the other "boxes" must be doing something valuable to have grown so big so fast. It takes customers to do so.
I personally love having a Lowes and Home Depot. They replaces the local overpriced mediocre service hardware and lumber store.
I've returned numerous things to Home Depot and never ever had a problem. I simply cannot identify with your experience.
Rob, I feel your pain. I am a firm believer in customer service. Yes, I can understand that a-rule's-a-rule, but what happened to you was really not good customer service. This is the sort of thing that leads to the "buy another one and use the receipt to return the defective one then return the second one for store credit" scam that we saw in an earlier post.
My biggest frustration at HD is the lack of knowledge -- knowledge about product, knowledge about application, knowledge about customer service.
In this case they didn't even give you correct information about the policy. Did you take it up with the store manager or head office? You might be more apt to get some 'discretionary judgement' at that level, even if it does take up some of your valuable time.
And thanks for this lesson. I'll never make another purchase and let it sit around in a box.
Steve

Do you really expect someone at Home Depot to know something about the every one of the thousands of items they carry?
I certainly don't expect that.
Brian Elfert
writes:

But would it be too much to expect that the employee assigned to a particular department know something about the merchandise in that department? As someone said before, "It ain't rocket science". I think it's more of a "don't give a damn" attitude.
Max D.
On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:16:04 GMT, "Max"

Having been a Sears employee (salesman, Tool manager, etc.) for 15 years and then being laid off because of corporate downsizing, I can tell you this. The employees at the Big Boxes (sears included) don't give a damn because the companies don't give a damn about them. It all about the bottom line for the shareholders.
Brian DET Luger "She was onto something, I think that's what got her killed The Capt "You don't think it was the bullets?"
"Never Enough Money" wrote in message

Yep ... and that "something" is selling "convenience" to the ever increasing number of clueless.

The fact that you had to speaks volumes. But I am real glad for you nonetheless. Around here, HD in particular, is the embodiment of everything that is mediocre in today's building trades ... from the employees who run the other way when they see a customer heading toward them, to the nailgun-it-up-and-slap-some caulk-on-it types who pass themselves off as craftsman.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05