Pissed off at Home Depot. (Rant)

Page 3 of 6

I'm much more aware of that now that I have seen their 'customer service department' in action. (I wonder if it is staffed with ex fork-lift drivers?

I have an account there so I can send anybody to fetch stuff as the need arises. They KNOW what I spent there over the last 3 years. It is considerably less than a full building contractor, but it's enough.
A friend of mine supplies 5 HD stores with Corian. They make him jump through hoops. Sometimes they are totally unreasonable. He cannot template a job unless the cabinets are in. HD controls the sub who is doing the installation of those cabinets. My friend's contract states that he must deliver within 21 days after the order is confirmed. Sometimes that leaves him 1 or 2 days to template, fabricate and install a countertop. Sometimes he gets penalized for being late. Rules are rules, right?
Anyway, good to hear you escaped injury. Not much give to forklifts.
on 5/11/2005 4:41 PM Robatoy said the following:

They try to pull that same crap with their customers as well. Tried to buy a full kitchen's worth of cabinets on a complete makeover. First had to deal with their "cabinet counselor" or whatever, couldn't just get anyone to take the order although I'd already measured, obtained their stocking numbers, etc.
Okay, no biggie, I'm back the next night and lo and behold their "cabinet counselor" is some 60+ little old lady who honestly was clueless. Couldn't operate the computer used to generate the order so we swapped places and I filled in the order myself. Asked her one simple question about a double door cabinet detail that wasn't clear from anything they had in the books, on the computer, etc. Said she'd have to call the factory and get back to me. Okay, let's write this upd!
Oh, you can't just buy them like that. You have to have one of our people come out and measure your kitchen.
Adios, HD A**holes! Enough!
Talked to my Corian guy who put me in touch with his cabinet jobber. Ordered them by FAX and was good to go in about ten days. Price was better than HD for the same product as well.
HD = 7-11 If you gotta have it right now and you know what you need it's the place to go when nothing else is available. Otherwise... APBHD! Any Place But Home Depot.

Had THAT gone down, rest assured the order would have been wrong..OR..there would be 6" spacer to substitute for that 30" base cabinet they were short of...so they gave you a 24" with a little spacer.
Seen it done. I shitteth thee not!
I used to template those HD jobs for my friend, but after a few..mmmm sorry, bud..this dude is out of time. Another favourite was Thunder Thursday. They delivered the cabinets on Monday, partial install, done (sort of) on Thursday...the phone would ring...... Cabinets are in, customer want a working kitchen by the weekend or else. The frickin' Corian is just off the truck, NO time to warm up to working temp... Friday morning first bit/blade hits the material, go nuts...4 guys on the job...okay...who has the cooktop and the sink? Can't continue without the cooktop or the sink. Ohhhhhhhhh Home Depot doesn't have them yet????
While you're up, grab me a cold one too, will ya?
Sure...I laugh now....
On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:51:28 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy

Then why continue to rant so hard? If you're done, you're done. Hold onto that vinegar and it'll eat a hole in your stomach. Repairs for that are a helluva lot higher than the cost of a B&D sandah, sir.

Your outfit or you, personally? How do they know you? Does the manager know you personally, or do you just do a lot of business there and a couple of the checkers know you by sight? Do you do a lot of warranty returns, custom fabrications/orders?
P.S: A man who "drops that kind of money" there usually doesn't buy from the B&D line.

Have you truly taken responsibility for it? (If so, why the whine?)

You should thank them for teaching you an inexpensive lesson. Once purchased, every tool or item should be inspected immediately and/or used to verify its function/color/texture/usability. Please DAMHIKT. <sigh>
OK, so they screwed up on the warranty period. Send a letter off and let it go. Your health is worth far more than a vendor's inattention.
In July, I'll have 20 years of sobriety. I've found that I can get through the largest of calamaties unscathed, but it's the little things like this which cause me the most amount of frustration and are the hardest to deal with. Weird, ain't it? I've learned (for the most part) to accept it and move on, and I hope you can, too.
Thanks for the reminder this morning; my daily lesson.
---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e) http://www.diversify.com Web Database Development ======================================================
[snipperectomy]

I rant because I don't hold on to vinegar... I vent. Vinegar free here. *G*

It's very hard to become known 'personally' when staff turns over at the rate theirs does. This must be their 10th 'manager' since they opened 3 years ago. You see, I haven't had time to be 'hardened' by the onslaught of the BBB's (Big Box Bastards)

LOL... ONE piece of B&D..seriously... I bought that particular sander because it has a tiny front roller and I thought that for the occasional time I need to sand out a stubborn blemish from the inside corner of a solid surface countertop that it would do the job. (BTW, did I tell you I fabricate solid surface?). I bought the frickin' thing because of a feature, NOT because I thought B&D makes wonderful tools. I have tainted myself..smudge marks all over my reputation as a quality tool buyer... I'm sorry I touched it..but I had a need...the rest of it is all a blank...dunno WHAT happened....hell, I feel like the guy who drove the baby-sitter home and shouldn't have done what he did... Buy ONE piece of B&D! The guilt! =o] Will my Lamello, Feins, Festools, Milwaukees EVER let me touch them again??

[sipperectomies continue]

So true. After I had to give up my nightly brandy(ies) with my dad because my doctor put me on Naprosin for my OA, total sobriety ensued.
I'll get my satisfaction soon enough..and you're right...a cheap lesson for me, but not for them. And it's knowing that they couldn't care less...THAT is the part that irks me the most.
Out with the bad air...in with the good.

You're welcome, sir. I'm glad you got something positive out of it as well.
Robatoy wrote:

Actually, what appears as a significant amount of money from your perspective is probably totally insignificant when looking at their total volume...I ran into that opinion (and on occasion hold it myself when not thinking of the big picture) when working w/ vendors in previous life. Even significant expenditures can and do pale when compared to actual sales volume of large retailers/vendors.
I recall once <many> years ago going into a car dealership w/ which I had dealt for some time at a model year end thinking it would be reasonable to expect them to want to move old models. When I asked a member of the family who owned the dealership something on the order of "Have anything you need to get rid of quickly?" his answer was "Yeah, <all> of 'em!". Great lesson!!!
On Wed, 11 May 2005 10:09:26 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy

Meanwhile, 437 lines of rant later..."Oh, no, I don't hold on to things." Uh, huh. <giggle>

You're still learning. This is a good thing. I aspire to learn something new every day. (Every once in awhile it works.)

Hey, I still have (and occasionally use) my 30+ y/o B&D tools. They did the job they were purchased for and [insert Energizer theme here.] With the exception of Crapsman, a tool's a tool. It's how you use it that counts. (Verify that with your wife and mistresses.)
BTW, send pictures of the problems you have with solid counters. I need something for which I can invent a solution.

Oh, man. I'll bet you regret that choice. I've gone with the baby sitter option instead of a silly tool. <domg> OK, with that out of the way, did you ever wonder why the bottom-of-the-line tool was the only one who had that particular feature? Hmm, did the marketeers see you coming, or what? ;)

I used Naprosyn after sliding off a sandal onto a rock once. I had been unable to walk due to the pain, but 20 minutes after the first Naprosyn, I was up and moving again. Excellent stuff for bone pain. 800mg of Motrin 4x/day hadn't TOUCHED it.
Good going on the sobriety. I have a Blue Bunny low-carb yogurt for my bedtime snack, taken with a capsule of acidophilus. Yum!

That's the way 95% of businesses now do their business. In return, I patronize them only when they're the cheapest or only game in town.

Oh, very good! Holding one's breath until one turns blue does absolutely no good with these types.

Ciao!
=========================================================== Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================

Two rules:
1) Don't sweat the small shit.
2) It's ALL small shit.
djb

or as a lady friend of mine likes to say: "Don't sweat the petty things, but DO pet the sweaty things.."

Can I have her phone number?
;-)
On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:39:54 -0600, the inscrutable Dave Balderstone

Me, too. I'm working up a sweat just thinking about it.
------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

Did she end up as one of your three wives?

ROTFLMFAO *wiping away tears*
Gawd, how I wish I could share with you how funny that was...
Suffice it say that few men have lasted much longer than 3 months before she breaks them. I have been fortunate to have been spared that humiliation....
*still laughing*
Commits most of those crimes herself..LOL.
On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:11:27 -0600, the inscrutable Dave Balderstone

True, so I've reactivated an old sig.
--

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet sweaty things.
----------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

I hit 20 in July as well.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Congrats, fellow old timer! I hope to survive to July 8th, my actual AA bday.
------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
Larry Jaques wrote:

Actually, my AA bday is June 15, but I've combined it with my NA of July 20. Makes it a lot easier :)
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

All right you guys - why don't you get a "room"... to (mis)use a popular phrase. Congrats to both of you. June 30 makes 9 years for me. It's really been a pretty easy 9 years all things considered. It was harder to quit smoking than it was to quit drinking.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

I quit smoking for 5 years, was around some friends who were smoking, I lit one, had it half smoked before I realized what I had done. It was a very quick eye opener as to how insidious the disease of addiction is.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

popular