Pissed off at Home Depot. (Rant)

You're right. Never bend the rules. Hence:

PLONK.

Reply to
Robatoy

We had a Lowes open a couple years ago and they are pretty much the same as HD. In either place I find myself giving lessons in whatever I'm looking for, if it is more technical than a bag of dirt.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yep ... and that "something" is selling "convenience" to the ever increasing number of clueless.

The fact that you had to speaks volumes. But I am real glad for you nonetheless. Around here, HD in particular, is the embodiment of everything that is mediocre in today's building trades ... from the employees who run the other way when they see a customer heading toward them, to the nailgun-it-up-and-slap-some caulk-on-it types who pass themselves off as craftsman.

Reply to
Swingman

I'm much more aware of that now that I have seen their 'customer service department' in action. (I wonder if it is staffed with ex fork-lift drivers?

I have an account there so I can send anybody to fetch stuff as the need arises. They KNOW what I spent there over the last 3 years. It is considerably less than a full building contractor, but it's enough.

A friend of mine supplies 5 HD stores with Corian. They make him jump through hoops. Sometimes they are totally unreasonable. He cannot template a job unless the cabinets are in. HD controls the sub who is doing the installation of those cabinets. My friend's contract states that he must deliver within 21 days after the order is confirmed. Sometimes that leaves him 1 or 2 days to template, fabricate and install a countertop. Sometimes he gets penalized for being late. Rules are rules, right?

Anyway, good to hear you escaped injury. Not much give to forklifts.

Reply to
Robatoy

The fact that I'm my third marriage tell you anything? *G*

Of course, it could have been the ex's poor decisions, eh?

Reply to
Robatoy

on 5/11/2005 4:41 PM Robatoy said the following:

They try to pull that same crap with their customers as well. Tried to buy a full kitchen's worth of cabinets on a complete makeover. First had to deal with their "cabinet counselor" or whatever, couldn't just get anyone to take the order although I'd already measured, obtained their stocking numbers, etc.

Okay, no biggie, I'm back the next night and lo and behold their "cabinet counselor" is some 60+ little old lady who honestly was clueless. Couldn't operate the computer used to generate the order so we swapped places and I filled in the order myself. Asked her one simple question about a double door cabinet detail that wasn't clear from anything they had in the books, on the computer, etc. Said she'd have to call the factory and get back to me. Okay, let's write this upd!

Oh, you can't just buy them like that. You have to have one of our people come out and measure your kitchen.

Adios, HD A**holes! Enough!

Talked to my Corian guy who put me in touch with his cabinet jobber. Ordered them by FAX and was good to go in about ten days. Price was better than HD for the same product as well.

HD = 7-11 If you gotta have it right now and you know what you need it's the place to go when nothing else is available. Otherwise... APBHD! Any Place But Home Depot.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Speaks volumes for the manufacturers, not the retailer. Also speaks volumes about me -- getting the wrong thing.

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Did you know that Southwest Airlines, one of the VERY few airlines to be making money these days, allows ANY customer-contact employee to "interpret" company policy on the spot if required in order to satisfy a customer? They only require their employees to use good judgement...their _own_ good judgement. And those are some pretty low-paid employees...most probably making less than HD employees.

And Southwest makes one shit-pot-full of money in the toughest industry (currently) around.

I agree with Robatoy...these aren't rules. In a well-run company, they are guidelines.

Reply to
Mark Cooper

Ever heard of a guarantee of merchantability?

If not, read-up on it. By the looks of your pissy post, you have a lot to learn.

Reply to
Mark Cooper

My but aren't you two (Jim and Sharon) the buttholes?

"Rules are rules for a reason"? That's the best you got? Perhaps you have some other platitudes you could offer?

I know..."You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

Or how 'bout "A stich in time saves nine"?

You don't work and play well with others, so go away until you do.

Reply to
Mark Cooper

Had THAT gone down, rest assured the order would have been wrong..OR..there would be 6" spacer to substitute for that 30" base cabinet they were short of...so they gave you a 24" with a little spacer.

Seen it done. I shitteth thee not!

I used to template those HD jobs for my friend, but after a few..mmmm sorry, bud..this dude is out of time. Another favourite was Thunder Thursday. They delivered the cabinets on Monday, partial install, done (sort of) on Thursday...the phone would ring...... Cabinets are in, customer want a working kitchen by the weekend or else. The frickin' Corian is just off the truck, NO time to warm up to working temp... Friday morning first bit/blade hits the material, go nuts...4 guys on the job...okay...who has the cooktop and the sink? Can't continue without the cooktop or the sink. Ohhhhhhhhh Home Depot doesn't have them yet????

While you're up, grab me a cold one too, will ya?

Sure...I laugh now....

Reply to
Robatoy

Having been a Sears employee (salesman, Tool manager, etc.) for 15 years and then being laid off because of corporate downsizing, I can tell you this. The employees at the Big Boxes (sears included) don't give a damn because the companies don't give a damn about them. It all about the bottom line for the shareholders.

Brian DET Luger "She was onto something, I think that's what got her killed The Capt "You don't think it was the bullets?"

Reply to
shooter357

Wow, I am impressed.

I have never seen tubes of adhesive or rolls of tape that big. ;)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Two rules:

1) Don't sweat the small shit.

2) It's ALL small shit.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Depends on the product.

I have a relative that uses $115 a gallon paint.

Of course, it encapsulates lead...

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Now you will see one that big...almost a litre

into this dispenser:
epoxy for joining engineered stone slabs.

The tape? Small roll, really, but approved by DuPont to line the inside of a cook-top cut-out. Thick, self-adhesive aluminum. Works as a heat-sink. The adhesive can withstand very high temperatures.

Now, Lee, don't you feel enlightened?

*G*
Reply to
Robatoy

fails, their Canadian toll-free customer service number is on their web site.

For that matter, call them first and have them call the store.

You got an answer you didn't like at the store, after screwing up yourself, then bitched there was no email address when you could have picked up the phone and talked to somebody at corporate who may have been able to set things right.

Call them.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

How about $185/gallon stone floor sealer?

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

If I were to encapsulate lead, that is what I would use. *G*

Some of the high-tech automotive finishes from Akzo/Sikkens are way higher than that. At the supplier's that sells me some of my sandpapers, I saw a client walk out with a box in his arms, not struggling with it, several cans.. $1200.00 For one car. Materials. Quite normal, I was told.

Those guys drop a 1000 bucks on a gun.

1000 bucks for a phonograph cartridge I can understand, but a spray gun?

I digress.

Reply to
Robatoy

or as a lady friend of mine likes to say: "Don't sweat the petty things, but DO pet the sweaty things.."

Reply to
Robatoy