Pissed off at Home Depot. (Rant)

Page 2 of 6

(snip)

is
because
well).
(snip)
Hi Roy -
If we won't sell to Berkshire-Hathaway, there's not much chance the Borg would do any better...:)
Robert (nailshooter) pretty much hit it on the head...the Boxes just aren't flexible, or agile.
Cheers -
Rob

We had a Lowes open a couple years ago and they are pretty much the same as HD. In either place I find myself giving lessons in whatever I'm looking for, if it is more technical than a bag of dirt.

as
But that's the way it is (mostly) with the drive for profits that many retail companies use. They hire employees for as low a wage as possible, but with a modicum level of knowledge. Naturally, those low wage employees are going to know only so much.
I remember once going into a low end graphics store to have a map scanned. Even though I didn't own a scanner and had never used their model of scanner before, I was the one that had to show the employee how to use the scanner. Didn't stop them though from charge me $6 for using it.

My last lesson was knife hinges. I didn't really expect to find them in HD, but I was there for some PVC pipe and thought I'd save myself a trip somewhere else. Instead I spent 10 minutes explaining and drawing knife hinges for three of them and still had to make the trip somewhere else. Now I just ask if they know where I can find something. If they say they know, I look there first. If it's not there or they say they don't know, I wander around until I run out of patience or convince myself that they don't have what I'm looking for.
That said, one of the local HDs had a guy in a wheel chair who could tell you to within a foot where to find anything in the store and where to buy it if they didn't carry it. I always hunted him out, but they seem to have disappeared him.
The place I try to shop at most often is an Ace Hardware where Every employee seems to know what everything is and where they keep it. I don't know how they manage it, but you can walk in there and ask a fresh faced, new HS grad if they've got a 7mm Ratrafratz Bolt and get told to go to aisle 4, 2nd cabinet on the left, 3rd row, 2nd drawer from the left - and *find* it right where they told you to look! Also the kind of place where you can walk in with a problem you don't know how to solve and walk out with a solution and the materials to do the job.

I know, I know... one puts them in a blade so one can cut corners?

Pretty close to some of the guesses I got .. :o)
Robatoy wrote:

Ding, Ding! WRONG. Those are those new hinges. Cutting edge technology!

Seen them in The Sharper Image Catalogue...being marketed to the hilt!

There aren't too many places like that around anymore, but I do have to concede that the Home Depot I go to has many older employees and most of them have the experience with stuff to be able to help me out when I'm having a problem. The greatest difficulty that I experience is getting them to understand what I want to buy. It's usually some type of esoteric fastener of some type, just that my experience and names for something doesn't always match theirs.
On Thu, 12 May 2005 03:18:50 -0400, the inscrutable "Upscale"

Some helpful tips, especially for plumbing problems:
If it's a replacement part, TAKE THE PART WITH YOU to the stores or take a digital pic and print it out. Show it to the drones so they can point (or more likely) shrug and shake their heads.
If it's a new idea, draw it on paper and take it with you. Show it to the older, more experienced workers rather than the younger drones. Chances are much better that they've seen it or know of something in stock which might work. (Unless you get the old guy in the HD plumbing dept which had never worked there before and neither knew the stock nor how to plumb. Instead of a 3/4-1/8" reducer, he picked out half a dozen pieces in galv, black, and pvc which eventually ended up somewhat close, but not exactly where I wanted to go. He caught the nick "The Brainless Goldbergian Plumbing Drone of HD." I was so fed up after talking to him that I put off locating the airbrush fitting indefinitely and just went home.)
If it's existing hardware and you can't wait to get it from Lee Valley, take the Lee Valley Tools hardware catalog with you and point out the picture.
------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

They'd faint dead away and you'd have to slink out of the store!!

I love some of the old guys who tell you, with a straight face no less, that they have never heard of Lee Valley.:)
on 5/12/2005 1:40 PM snipped-for-privacy@the.home said the following:

Why? Do you really think the all the old duffers (and young ones) at the big boxes were hired because they were mentors to Norm or Tage Frid?
More likely those with some experience were fired from the trades as finish carpenters because their thumbs shrinking with old age and thus being incapable of smoothing out a 3/4" line of caulking compound to "finish" the trim job<g>

There's an old guy in the tool section of the local HD that told me he had a copy of the LV catalog in his locker, and that he'd go get it if I wanted to wait. I told him I had the current one at home and not to bother.
This was a couple of years back, and I don't recall what I was looking for at the time. I probably did end up ordering from LV, though.
djb
On Thu, 12 May 2005 13:51:15 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Most of them are OK when you talk about buying stuff from Lee Valley they don't carry, but when you mention stuff like sandpaper and other 'disposables' they get a little uptight.:)
I was annoyed on a recent local purchase of a 10" steel sanding disk for my RAS. They sell the disks but NO sand paper to fit. They sell every size EXCEPT 10" Thank God for Lee Valley.
Upscale wrote:

The problem is that all the posters are right, at least some of the time. Oft times the person you talk to at HD or elsewhere hasn't a clue and other times you might just as well be talking to the person who invented the "left-handed framistan" you happen to be looking for.
The problem is you NEVER KNOW which one you've drawn that day.
It's kind of like those old logic puzzles that begin...
"You talk to two guards. One never lies and one will never speak the truth. How..."
If you don't know the answer yourself you'll likely walk out of there with a nice new MAPP gas torch so you can fix the gas tank on your lawnmower<g>
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

faced,
- and

where
out
have to

most of

I'm
getting them

clue
I doubt I'll ever forget, in Lowe's (not HD), standing near the Customer Service desk in the new store. Two guys come in asking where the brick mold was placed. The woman sent them to the plumbing department.
Charlie Self wrote:

LOL! I'm surprised she didn't send them to the cleaning supplies or the lawn & garden area.
wrote in message

i don't know about that. a few years ago i had to search out a replacement valve stem for an old faucet at a hole in the wall place that had stuff on shelves that you didn't know you needed . lots of knowledgeable guys there. i happened to find a joker that day who thought that telling me to use a bit of jb weld inside the valve stem would prevent it from leaking instead of replacing it.
turned out the manager didn't think it was so funny and he was fired on the spot.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
Swingman wrote:

You were a bit faster then me: Early January, I was delivering some goods to a local Kmart and the bloody forklift *did* get me !! A crushed left ankle, Trip to the local hospital, 600 km flight to Perth and a week in Hospital to get it all fixed. Only hung up my stick a couple of weeks ago and am getting about not to badly now. Moral of the story "If you pick on a forklift be prepared to come of second best. John