pissed at HD

Page 6 of 6
Yea, Dixie Dieway, Hurstborne and the one right down the street by me on Preston Highway. It's (the Preston one) is the newer of the three. I've been in the ones across the river a few times also, but just to run in and get a specific something or other. But, like I said, I may just be one lucky SOB.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
dude, can i come to your fairy tale HD? if something like that ever happened to me in HD, i would surely faint. my favorite is when you wait inline for 15 minutes and the cashier turns her light off just befoe you get to the register and just looks at you and walks away. and i dont want to hear anyone say i'm overreacting, that has happened to me several times at different stores. their service just plain sucks.

>snip > their service just plain sucks.
Take your buisness elsewhere. They are there because they offer a service, however valued, at a cost. They will still be there next month/year/decade because most of us are willing to get the basic supplies at a reasonable cost, despite the service.
maybe that's the problem, jack. people are to willing to settle for less. think about it. you're willing to walk into a dirty store and be treated poorly in order to save a few dollars. very sad thought that the average person can be bought for a couple bucks.

On 8 Feb 2004 07:04:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net (RemodGuy) wrote:
|maybe that's the problem, jack. people are to willing to settle for |less. think about it. you're willing to walk into a dirty store and |be treated poorly in order to save a few dollars. very sad thought |that the average person can be bought for a couple bucks.
There is also the sometimes fallacy that the you're saving the few bucks at the Borg and it's worth the grief to get them.
A coupla examples:
1) A few days ago, I decided to build an overhead rack to store some lumber in my garage. I have open I-joists so I installed some blocking between them and dangled some three-foot lengths of " threaded rod down to support the rack. After putting some load on it I decided I better add a couple of more rods. It's a 20-mile round trip to HD but only five miles to a little one-man hole-in-the-wall hardware store out here in the country where I live. The $3.87 each rods at HD cost $2.99 at the Do-It-Best, or whatever it's called.
2) I added some grounding to a ham radio tower of mine. AWG 6 bare copper, fifty cents a foot at HD, 30 cents at a local electrical supply place that caters to DIY.
When I built my house addition a few years ago I found a lot of this. If you're buying one do-dad at HD and it's 47 cents versus 33 cents someplace else, you probably don't care. But when you buy a hundred do-dads, that 30% lower cost is real money. The specialty shops gave better service, had knowledgeable help and very often lower prices. They also offered quantity discounts.
Wes Stewart
Life is a series of compromises. If you are unable to accept this compromise, then go down the street to the speciality shop that will meet your higher expectiations, and be prepared to compensate them for their efforts.

Well, yea you can, since it's a real store. Fairytale Land is where....nevermind. It's the store on Preston Highway, South East Louisville. The hours are from 7 A.M. till 10 P.M. Monday through Saturday, 8 A.M. till 6 P.M. on Sunday. Just don't park in the third space from the west end in the fifth row, that's reserved for the customer of the month, 19 months running!!!!! Namely me!!! hahahaha. BTW, dude is a want to be cowboy. A cowboy I ain't!!
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

I've never had a cashier in ANY store shut down a lane I already in. Swap out cashiers a few times, but never shut it down.
Maybe they just recognize you, RemodGuy, and are running for cover?
It just about a mile or so north of the Snyder. Let's see, just a couple blocks north of Southern High. Right across the street from Thorntons, and behind Micky D's. There's a Sprint store and a mattress store in front.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

they should recognize me. in 2003 i put a total of $116,680.00 on company's depot charge (and yes i paid every dime of it). i may not be their biggest customer (nor are they my biggest supplier), but you'd think ching like that would warrant some consideration.
tell us how you REALLY feel about the Borg! :)
dave
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

The level of courtesy and service seems to vary by location. Mechanicsburg, PA Home Depot is usually a quite pleasant experience for me (with the exception of carpet) - realizing they're not a ww'g store, etc. They've gone out of their way at times to help out. The HDs around the DC area (MD side) vary by location and the shoddier parts have shoddier service. None around here though come close to the courtesy and service I find in PA.
Renata

That sucks, but... Maybe try speaking to a cashier and ask if they couldn't get some other cashiers up to the registers? Some of them might not give a dang, but some might very well have not thought of it, or hesitated because they felt they were to busy ringing up customers to stop for 15 seconds to call the mgr on duty or the "racetrack mgr".
As I was told growing up... It Never Hurts to Ask.
You're pissed because you had to stand in a line for a little while? You are kidding right? You never spend much time in the military did you?
Keep it, return it, it doesn't matter....what I think you need is to grow up!
just my .02 worth...
Philski
DJ wrote:

Philski wrote:

It's probably not the standing in line, but the one clerk that is the issue. There are two Border's Bookstores in my area. Both are *excellent* at opening more registers whenever there gets to be a line. The only time I've had to stand in line > 5 minutes is Christmas season. ;-)
-- Mark
Well, Borders sells books. HD sells ... EVERYTHING. It's probably much easier to train a new Borders cashier than a HD one.
Also, Borders employees don't have to stand there and explain how to read a book to every Joe Homeowner that comes in. They are probably more often available to come up and check you out.
Do you want to be a Home Depot cashier? Your answer to that question may be why there aren't enough HD cashiers.
BTW, I've had GREAT service at my local HD. I bought a couple storm doors to put on the house, and due to a miscalculation, they wouldn't fit in the car. So I went to their "rent a truck" place, only to find that the truck was already rented by someone else. The rent-a-truck-desk guy asked where I lived, so I told him. (It wasn't just a hop, skip, or jump away by the way.) He immediately told his coworker that he'd be back soon, and said he'd follow me in his pickup with my doors. I tried to tip him when we got to my house, but he simply said, "Thanks for shopping at Home Depot. Come back soon!"
Just my 2 cents, Adam

I have been lurking here for some weeks but this thread has my interest. I am an old codger in Ottawa, Ont. spent years in retail serving (yes, serving) the public, and I see too many of the younger people accepting poor service without a whimper. Well, I ask for management when I receive poor service out of the ordinary, BUT I also go out-of-my-way to praise good service when it is received. On the other hand I try and keep it all in perspective.
Here in Ottawa, the worst service is at our Canadian Tire Stores, sort a hardware style WalMarts. And WalMart are little better. Their "associates" ignore customers unless they trip over them and I am convinced that I have becomen invisible.
AS for HD they seem a cut above what you have down south. We have at least 3 within 20 minutes. I am always agreeably surprised at their staff. They are knowledgeable and universally helpful. If they can't answer a question, they will go and find someone who can. Returns are never a problem and there are always adequate cashs open, perhaps 2-3 patrons ahead.
Now the negatives re: HD. They have driven most of the competition out-of-business (e.g. the Beaver lumber store, many hardware stores.) I have a firefighter son who is into renovations and he is always pissed at HD because he does not get the "service" he receives at an independent lumber/hardware dealer. Of course, as long as his client pays the shot, price does not mean much.
As for Costco, for the first few years that they came into Canada, I was negative, having seen the membership concept years ago. But when I became miffed at the other big grocery chains here, we tried Costco and use them extensively. We need to wath their prices, not overbuy, and love their return policy. And their staff is well trained in customer relations. Probably 65% of our food budget in spent at Costco and a significant amount of other goods.
So, we like HD and Costco even though we would rather patronize Canadian companies. As for WalMart, I guess that they have a place.
Sorry for the rant...