Pipe Clamp Question

Page 3 of 3
Another tip to consider is using galvanized pipe. Threads on just the same and you don't get that black shit all over your workpiece. I have a couple of these and would eventually like to upgrade all of my pipe clamps to gal.
Jim

James Kountz notes:

Instead, use a bit of waxed paper under the black pipe. Galvanized sooneor or later causes a lot more slipping of the mobile head.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
I went the opposite way ..and for exactly for the reasons Charlie stattted.. Galvinized was Cheaper then Black pipe (ok the galvinized I got was free )...and free is always cheaper.... Initially anyway !
But over the years I started to notice a lot of slippage and flaking ..so slowely I converted over to black pipe ...and I have a large roll of paper like that used in auto paint shops that I just use under the clamps IF I NEED TO... The wife locks up her wax paper and aluminum foil and most of the dishware that I used to steal .. I do have a bunch of K-Bodies but the largest is about 40"...most are 30-32's and there is no comparison as to which are much better BUT comparing 5 or 6 bucks per clamp to 30-40 or even 50 Bucks a clamp... well you get the idea...
Bob Griffiths

I have some very long 1/2" pipe clamps- maybe 10 or 12 feet long. I don't need them often, but I can count on them to bend, and the black pipe to make marks on whatever I'm clamping. I cut some sections of 1" PVC pipe and slipped them over the iron. I can position them where the iron would contact wood and avoid the stains.     Bridger
Bridger responds:

Point taken. I started using waxed paper when PVC was either non-existent or in its infancy. It may be time to change!
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
brought forth from the murky depths:

Yes, and they're on sale at HFT today. The 36" bar clamps are -cheaper- than the Pony pipers, and the 6-inchers are only 2 bucks apiece. Get the Pittsburgh clamps with the lifetime warranty.
www.harborfreight.com/ #34387, 5975, 5976, 34389, 34388 6, 12, 24, 30, 36" $1.99 to $4.49 thru 2/16/04
=========================================================== Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================
I bought a few set of the Sure Foot pipe clamp fixtures from Rockler and I love them. The wide foot is really nice and they are predrilled for adding accessories. Something I like to do when clamping up narrow panels is add an extra half of the jaws (not the threaded one but the sliding one) to the end of the clamp to hold the ends up