Pinning guns

I'm considering a 23 gauge pinning gun, probably from Senco. Any opinions? Can I safely place 1-1/2" pins through birch and maple?
I need to apply a lot (500 running feet) of birch and maple 2.75 wide x 3/4 thick trim to in-place book cases and shelving. Pinning while glue dries would be a great time saver over clamping (I think.)
RB
Not that one doesn't exist, but I've seen none that shoot more than 1" pins. The pins have almost no holding power. Seriously, they're pins. Tacking light trim in place where the hole is going to matter is what they're for. But they're great for that... I love my Accuset pinner. YMMV Bruce

You probably want a brad nailer. IIRC pins are not that long.

I have a brad nailer (18 gauge) and a finish nailer (16 gauge). What I'm looking for is the elusive "invisible" nailer to hold trim just long enough for glue to set.
RB
Leon wrote:

I C, I was under the impression that pinners shot pins much shorter than what you were looking for. Apparently those things come in sizes that are pretty long.

You might want to look into one of these guys.........
http://www.grexusa.com/p635.htm
TomL
This P635 looks just like what I want. Do you know who sells them? I'd prefer to buy using the internet.
Thanks,
RB
TomL wrote:

http://www.toolpeddler.com/ar368.htm
or a call here may get many more locations
http://www.grexusa.com/about-us.htm

Sorry, RB but I don't know who sells them. Email them and they'll eventually get back to you with your local dealer.
TomL
The pin length is gonna be the problem. Those guns are (a)expensive (b) very narrow in scope of use
http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?eT7&p%93
The biggest use of those things is the ability to handle very small molding.
I'm told that folks who build a LOT of cope & stick doors also love them for putting the doors together and eliminate clamping.
I believe a brad nailer is a better choice for 3/4" stock.(which is what I use)
RB wrote:

RB wrote:

I use the Porter Cable pinenr and am very happy with it.
A WORD OF CAUTION, however. The pins are so fine that they readilly follow the grain of the wood, and can turn and pop out the side of the joint. I know...I had a pin drive itself over 1/2" into the enf of the thumb that ws hloding the joing while pinning. Durn thing really hurt! Keep fingers out of any possible harm, and you'll be just fine. I wouldn't be without this little jewel.
Walt Novinger Raleigh, NC

I have a senco gun and it works really well. It came with 1/2", 3/4" and 1" pins. I use it to pin very small trim that would split if I used 18 guage nails. You may want to use 18 guage nails for what you want to do. Good luck