ping: Thomas Gauldin

I'm trying to build a Jakes Chair and it would very much help if I had the overall dims for part#4 & #5. The drawings give the length, but not the width.

The mailto: link on your site is kaput. Mindspring returns:

Technical details of permanent failure: PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com...User unknown

TIA,

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Haven't heard from Tom here in a long time .. .. .. he used to frequent rec.travel.cruises but I haven't seen him there lately either. His house in N.C. burned a few years ago and he moved to Las Vegas if that helps any.

Bill> I'm trying to build a Jakes Chair and it would very much help if I had

Reply to
Anonymous

overall dims for part#4 & #5. The >drawings give the length, but not

Hey Bill! How's the website biz going? Well, I hope. I noticed you haven't been on the turning ng much lately so I am assuming you are busy counting all your money!

Well, I hope so anyway.

Try this:

have had this link for a few years and still never built the chairs. Talked to some that have and they said they are pretty comfortable. I have seen some interesting mods like making them taller, adjustable, etc. No plans on the mods, though.

Just to check it out I downloaded the zip and it still works and the file pages are quite readable.

I hope you post some pics when finished.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

If Tom doesn't see this message himself and respond to you, email me at the address in my sig below. I have an email address for Tom that was valid as of July 2004. I won't publish it here without his permission.

Reply to
Doug Miller

overall dims for part#4 & #5. The >drawings give the length, but not

Thanks for the link ... I'll look at it in a few moments.

I've been extremely busy of late with congregation responsibilities and fixing up my own home, too. I had a lot of projects that I had just about talked to death - it was time to either do them or tuck my tail between my legs and concede defeat. Several of them are done and the others are (for the most part) at least begun. My front yard of this week bares little resemblance to my front yard of two weeks ago. I am just 8 paving stones from done. Hooray!!!!

The back yard is next, and I've already made a small beginning.

I have also been carving on an otherwise unimpressive box elder bowl -- just an ivy pattern to get a sense for how it's done. I turned this one with the intention of making it stout enough to serve as a utilitarian fruit bowl after carving so there's a lot of wood in the walls -- about

2/3 of which has to come out by hand.

Chalk up a few hours toward my education. I am due for jurying with the Ann Arbor guild in November, so I'm trying to stretch a little. I have some nice translucent pieces already but I also have a few ideas for carvings I want to try out.

I CAN say very good things for the Proxxon reciprocating carver. Now, however, I've got learn to sharpen gouges a whole lot better! Out of the box, the Proxxon tools cut shavings you could see through. It cost me two band-aids to learn to take them seriously.

Hopefully I've learned my lesson with only small slices.

I've never gotten along with CAD programs, so I'll probably just make up a trammel for the radii and wing-it for the dog ear length and curves.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

overall dims for part#4 & #5. The >drawings give the length, but not

Hey ... that's excellent! The site I originally got the plans from, while otherwise apparently identical, had the N. Carolina address and an ancient email. This one has fresher contact info!

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

But not, apparently, fresh enough.

: 24.234.0.71 does not like recipient. Remote host said: 550 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table Giving up on 24.234.0.71.
Reply to
BillinDetroit

Email me, and I'll give you the address I have for him. My real email address is in my sig below, not in the Reply-To header of this post.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Bill....

Check out the link on the page to the zip file. NO need to bother the guy. At one time the plans were very popular so I would imagine he doesn't regularly check emails as he probably gets all manner of questions about material, assembly, etc. that people want free advice on when using his free plans.

Follow the link I put in the first response, then go 3/4 down the page until you see this sentence:

Reply to
nailshooter41