Ping Robatoy - Finishing advice needed...

Page 1 of 2
Just getting my latest project off the ground, and, since you don't seem all that busy today, I was thinking maybe some quartersawn curly bubinga cabinets, painted green, might look real nice with Oobatuba countertops?
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Motohome.jpg
Whatcha think, eh?
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Well, I think that might be too much green. Oobatuba is notoriously green, see this sample:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/oobaTuba.jpg
Maybe something a little lighter, like Trumpetswan... or claretnet?

I think I may have hit a low note.
Swingman wrote:

What, or who, is that on the back porch?
I think the bubinga might not be the right wood, think you could find enough brazillian rosewood? That'd look mighty nice

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

That's my anti-kickback armor, for when I put extra pawls on my TS. :)

Good idea ... and maybe trim it with some ebony, or this:
http://www.rockler.com/Bubinga /
Might not have enough paint though ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
Swingman wrote:

Oooh Yeah, that'd do it. Wow $60 / BF

I hear you can get it in 5 gallon pails, a couple of those oughta do it.
/You know we are gonna fry for comments like this associated with those pieces of wood, right?

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Especially since Oobatuba is a resort town in eastern Brazil...
    a font of little known and mostly useless factoids,     jo4hn

You can see a photo of ooba tuba granite here http://bistro613.com/

Having a little problem with my factoids too. Perhaps a little Prep H on your font may help your factoids become more productive and a 'My Space page' may make them better known.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote

That's the same girl whose reflection we saw in Cheney's sunglasses.
Max

I think your timing is excellent! There is a move afoot in my neighborhood by a small group of homeowners wishing to revise the covenants and further restrict what people like me can have on their property. Since I've lived here for twenty years, have never noticed any problems, and am opposed to this current group of "self proclaimed, dictatorial regulators", I'm going to print this, take it to the next HOA board meeting and say. "this is what I intend, so what's wrong with it"?
Thanks,
Frank

Along the same lines and for some time, many "visually appealing neighbourhood control boards" in Ontario have been prohibiting clotheslines because of how they stand out. These clothes lines prohibitions have now been officially deemed illegal by the Ontario provincial government with the reasoning that clothes dryers use approximately 6% of the province's electricity. I'm guessing a number of "neighbourhood improvement busybodies" are currently having fits of anxiety.

Funny, I was thinking about that the other day. No restrictions here about that yet, but then no one has a one, and I'm sure the first one that is put up would bring out the HOA board in force.
I remember how good those fresh sheets used to smell after drying in the breeze and sun at my Grandmothers home. We may all go back to that eventually.
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

Here in CT, we had several towns that had oficially outlawed clotheslines. After a recent news story, most have either repealed the law, or stated they wouldn't enforce it and started the process to repeal.

I already did. I put a new outdoor line up about a month ago. We've had a 30' indoor line in the basement for 12 years, as we have lots of clothes that can't go in the electric dryer.
After the news article, I realized how silly it's been to use a dryer on a beautiful day, and remembered the smell Frank mentioned!
"B A R R Y" wrote

Clothes lines and TV antenna's ... ubiquitous accoutrements to life in the 50's.
I remember helping my maternal grandmother hang clothes.
My grandfather, a practical man who was a apparently true conservationist/greenie, although we didn't know to call it that at the time, kept goats to both mow, and fertilize, the lawns around his farm house.
It was my job to keep the goats from butting my grandmother during this all important task.
If I wasn't there, she took a broom with her, along with the clothes basket, and lord help any goat with butting in mind as she could sidestep and swing that broom at a charging goat's head like Babe Ruth could swing a baseball bat!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

I see your farmboy goat story and raise you one of my own childhood goat stories. (I know, I told this story before, but it is a good one.)
My sister was allergic to cow's milk. So we bought some goats and raised them. And with goats, you get the young ones who like to chew, climb and butt any thing that moves. I was in second grade and went to school within walking distance. We were probably the last working farm at the edge of town.
One thing that all young goats like to do is to chew on hair. Since I played with the goats each night, I soon had chunks of my hair missing. To the nosy, gossipy teachers at school, this was obvious signs of child abuse. I tried to explain to them that this was normal goat behavior. But they all would have a brain fart everytime I used the word, goat.
So they dispatched a teacher one day to walk with me to my house and check up on this ridiculous story about billy goats. I helped her over the fence and the young goats came running over to me. I was their friend and playmate. We were immediately involved in playing and wrestling.
The teacher became alarmed and feared some kind of wild animal attack and tried to intervene. This was perceived by a number of young goats as an invitation to play. She got butted by at least three goats. This woman had no idea how to deal with this kind of behavior. She tried to hit them and they kept butting her. Then, stupidly, she tried to run away. This is exactly what goats like. They would run her down and butt her to the ground. She must of got butted 20 times or so. And to top it off, she got tangled up in the electric fence.
The next day at school the word was that I was not abused. Crazy as a loon, but not abused. Those city slicker never did understand us farmboys.
Lee
Lee Michaels wrote:

Please tell me it was turned on.

--John
"J. Clarke" wrote

It was, it was. <G>
"Swingman" wrote:

You'll be happy to know that here in SoCal, goats are alive and well.
Since goats will eat almost anything, and can navigate steep hillsides with ease, they are a natural to clear brush from the hillsides, especially the inaccessible ones.
Good old Yankee ingenuity prevails.
Goats are now rented to clear the brush from the hillsides
Quiet, effective, and a whole lot cheaper than having to use firefighters when the brush catches fire, if it hasn't been cleared.
Lew

They are also tasty little critters. Hmmm a little cabritto would hit the spot.