Ping: Rob Lee

Seems like only yesterday - but was probably a year or two ago - that I urged use of stainless steel in LV planes and you indicated that stainless was an unsuitable material...
For a week now I've been drooling all over the front cover of my April LV catalog admiring - of all things - a beautiful stainless steel plane made by someone other than Lee Valley!
Is this an indication that you've re-considered the suitability of stainless steel - or are you just tantalizing us?
Morris Dovey wrote:

According to the write-up, only the lever cap, screw, and adjuster are stainless. The rest is O1 tool steel.
Chris

Hi Morris -
It's not that SS is unsuitable.... it's just a pig to work with....
One never says never.... but I can say "not soon". Don't try to nail down "not soon" though.... :)
Cheers -
Rob

Just make it out of steel and stainless it afterwards. ;)
Rob Lee wrote:
| || Seems like only yesterday - but was probably a year or two ago - || that I urged use of stainless steel in LV planes and you indicated || that stainless was an unsuitable material... || || For a week now I've been drooling all over the front cover of my || April LV catalog admiring - of all things - a beautiful stainless || steel plane made by someone other than Lee Valley! || || Is this an indication that you've re-considered the suitability of || stainless steel - or are you just tantalizing us? | | It's not that SS is unsuitable.... it's just a pig to work with.... | | One never says never.... but I can say "not soon". Don't try to | nail down "not soon" though.... :)
Ok, I won't, but neither will I miss any opportunities to nudge. :-)
Just remember that I'd rather buy 'em from LV than from somewhere else.
How so?