Ping: Rob Lee

Seems like only yesterday - but was probably a year or two ago - that I urged use of stainless steel in LV planes and you indicated that stainless was an unsuitable material...

For a week now I've been drooling all over the front cover of my April LV catalog admiring - of all things - a beautiful stainless steel plane made by someone other than Lee Valley!

Is this an indication that you've re-considered the suitability of stainless steel - or are you just tantalizing us?

Morris Dovey

According to the write-up, only the lever cap, screw, and adjuster are stainless. The rest is O1 tool steel.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

It's not that SS is unsuitable.... it's just a pig to work with....

One never says never.... but I can say "not soon". Don't try to nail down "not soon" though.... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lee

Just make it out of steel and stainless it afterwards. ;)

RicodJour

Ok, I won't, but neither will I miss any opportunities to nudge. :-)

Just remember that I'd rather buy 'em from LV than from somewhere else.

Morris Dovey

How so?

Reply to
CW