Ping pong table top

This is probably a very redundant question, but I am going to ask anyway. I am looking to make a ping pong table top to sit on top of my air hockey table. Now I have been looking though these posts here and I havent found anything used to make the tops here at the homedepot website, which is the only wood place in my town. Now I was wondering if there was anything simple (like plywood or something) that I could find at home depot.

Another thing, how do you get the top to be green is there some special paint or something. If there is what is it and can I get it at a place like home depot or sports authority?

Thanks

Reply to
Yao

There are suppliers of 5' x 10' sheets of 3/4" plywood "out there." Try googling for Plywood suppliers. Once you het one, you may be able to tell Home Depot and get it through Home Depot.

I bought some years ago from a local lumber store, but thy had to order it in special. It cost seventy-five or a hundred dollars at that time.

You can, however, make up an 8' x 5' table out of two sheets of 4x8 plywood because the seam would be at the net and no trouble. Use a biscuit joiner and align to the top surface.

The paint and finish would be best done with a good sealer and sandable primer to allow you to achieve the best and smoothest final finish on the table top. I would use solvent-based primers and suggest lots of sanding between coats and a solvent-based flat or satin enamel.

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

I have a better idea for you. Check your local paper/craigslist/etc for used ping pong table. I'm betting you can find one in no time for way under $100.

todd

Reply to
todd

Since the regulation size is 5' x 9' you will have to do a little searching for sheet material large enough. I would think the depot could probably get it for you though. My suggestion would be to find a used one or buy a new one and modify it to suit your needs. You can buy a new cheap table from Sears for about $130 and beef it up if needed.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Reply to
john

Where is Pong Top from and why in the world did his parents give him a middle name like that?

I'm anxious to see if he responds to your ping.

charlie b who knows a guy named Evans E. Evans, the "E." is for Evans - parents had absolutely no imagination

Reply to
charlie b