Ping: Morris Dovey

I owe you a beer or two. I am working on a conference table that is 8/4 x

60"x96" . To big for even my own bad self to move around safely so I created a bastardized version of your tilting workbench I spyed on your website. Simple but great idea thanks!

EJ

simplelogicwisconsinoutback.com

Reply to
Eric Johnson

HELP! Another newbie question... I've seen 8/4 referred to 3 times in the last few days, WTF kind of measurement or grade is this?? My limited math skills say that 8 fourths equal 2... lol

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

spoken aloud: eight quarter means 8 quarter inches thick, or, roughly, two inches. generally figured on rough, not-yet-planed, timber supposed to account for shrinkage in the drying process, so actual thickness at the time YOU come into the timber's life may vary.

8/4 is useful for many projects, but brings some new challenges, and tools.

Patriarch, not that many years down the learning curve...

Reply to
patriarch

Correct. For me this started out as 4, 10/4 (2 1/2") x16"x100" bookmatch cut roughcut walnut planks (Thanks Mike! Johnson Creek Hardwoods) Ripped then jointed to 15" Put the 15" General Int. Planer to the test of it's life and it easily handled it. double biscuit edge joined in 3 steps, 4boards to 2 then 2 glueups to one big ass massive tabletop you could park a truck on

Yes indeed, 6 Bessey 60" kbodys

15" planer 3HP worked well but 5hp woulda been nice in/out feed tables for the jointer Temporary assembly bench to accomodate the size of the project Lot's o practice burnishing the scrapers

look on the owner to be's face.... Priceless

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson