ping Morris

this might be of interest to you.

Reply to
Nonny

"Nonny" wrote

That is EXACTLY the kind of folks who should be getting research money!

I like him.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message news:4baa4aaa$0$9210$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com...

Morris seems to have his head screwed on right, also. If I was the gummint, I'd send him a few bucks to do research as well.

Reply to
Nonny

It is.

"If there's an Achilles' heel to Nocera's invention, some scientists say, it's that it needs other devices to offer a complete energy package."

Hmm. I don't want to rain on the professor's parade, but those other devices (solar panels and fuel cells) are pretty spendy items - even for folks living in relatively affluent societies.

There is a company claiming to have achieved a US$1/Watt manufacturing cost, and the last time I looked at fuel cell prices, I sighed and crossed 'em off /my/ shopping list - permanently. :(

[ One of my yardsticks is the little village Joe Agro visited and posted photos of back in January:
- If you haven't seen Joe's photos, they're worth a look. ]

My own efforts to deal with third world energy difficulties have been a lot less spectacular, but it seems that I'm slowly and painfully zeroing in on a solar power head that, I think, will be usable for pumping (the original objective) and (almost by accident) for electrical power generation.

Anyone who's interested can follow along at

my most recent prototype design effort is sketched out at

may be worth noting that this work is being done by volunteers, each of whom bear the full cost of their part of the project.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

How do the 6 Billion get fed?

Reply to
LDosser

If'n the gummint was to send it, I'd have to worry about all the strings attached - so thanks, but no thanks. :)

I just bent my best crowbar into a pretzel shape to add the few tools needed to prototype the current fluidyne pump design sketched at

pix can be seen at

tools are all from HF and I've managed to apply _two_ of their 20% off coupons (one on each of two items), but it's still difficult for me.

At least I'll also be able to look forward to using these to build a few of the woodworking tool ideas that have been sitting on the back burner...

Reply to
Morris Dovey