ping Morris

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=energy-from-a-water-bottle
Thought this might be of interest to you.
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

That is EXACTLY the kind of folks who should be getting research money!
I like him.
message

Morris seems to have his head screwed on right, also. If I was the gummint, I'd send him a few bucks to do research as well.
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.
On 3/24/2010 12:45 PM, Nonny wrote:

If'n the gummint was to send it, I'd have to worry about all the strings attached - so thanks, but no thanks. :)
I just bent my best crowbar into a pretzel shape to add the few tools needed to prototype the current fluidyne pump design sketched at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/InlineV1.html
Tool pix can be seen at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/PumpTools /
The tools are all from HF and I've managed to apply _two_ of their 20% off coupons (one on each of two items), but it's still difficult for me.
At least I'll also be able to look forward to using these to build a few of the woodworking tool ideas that have been sitting on the back burner...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

How do the 6 Billion get fed?
On 3/24/2010 11:51 AM, Nonny wrote:

It is.
"If there's an Achilles' heel to Nocera's invention, some scientists say, it's that it needs other devices to offer a complete energy package."
Hmm. I don't want to rain on the professor's parade, but those other devices (solar panels and fuel cells) are pretty spendy items - even for folks living in relatively affluent societies.
There is a company claiming to have achieved a US$1/Watt manufacturing cost, and the last time I looked at fuel cell prices, I sighed and crossed 'em off /my/ shopping list - permanently. :(
[ One of my yardsticks is the little village Joe Agro visited and posted photos of back in January: http://tinyurl.com/Ghana2010 - If you haven't seen Joe's photos, they're worth a look. ]
My own efforts to deal with third world energy difficulties have been a lot less spectacular, but it seems that I'm slowly and painfully zeroing in on a solar power head that, I think, will be usable for pumping (the original objective) and (almost by accident) for electrical power generation.
Anyone who's interested can follow along at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling /
and my most recent prototype design effort is sketched out at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/InlineV1.html
It may be worth noting that this work is being done by volunteers, each of whom bear the full cost of their part of the project.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar