PING Morris

Page 3 of 3

I saw some cobwebs wafting in the breeze from the panels already.... and the trees blocking the sun are still quite full of leaves.
Robatoy wrote:

Heh - isn't astronomy fun? That's your analog non-electric no-moving-parts thermostat waking up... :-D
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Not to pick a nit, but aren't there moving parts in this thermostat? Like BIG ones? :-)
Robatoy wrote:

I guess you're right. Say - I should probably advertise that the thermostat comes with an unconditional 1000-year warranty. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey said:

Flat and carbon blacks excel at dissipating heat, but not sure about absorbing the visible to IR light spectrum. So much for conclusions...

Ever tried gold anodized aluminum. Shouldn't cost too much compared to gold, assuming you meant, well, gold. (Au) Or is it the specific heat capacity you're after rather than the color? I've obviously not done the math or the experimentation.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

I haven't. Normally one tries to negotiate the price downward, but I had to negotiate the minimum order quantity down from a cargo container full to a mere 25km. I very carefully went with basic black.
Of course if you know of anyone with an extra km of 35mm gold ribbon they're about to scrap out, I may be able to provide disposal services. :)

Yes to both.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Greg G. wrote:

It's the spectral response--gold is a good reflector and thus poor emitter of infrared.