PING - Mike Marlow

Mike:

At our local HF, they actually had a guy that had used couple of the paint guns, but more important, he is in charge of returns for painting items as well as a few others, but he considers painting his baby.

As a sidebar, I have been buying stuff there like drop cloths, hammers, air nailer hose, fittings, etc. for years and now the store has never been cleaner, the people never more friendly, and the store in altogether better shape. Maybe they are working on their image.

As for your assessment, you were right on with this young guy at the store. He pronounced the first gun "iffy", said they had taken a few back, but was well aware of you concerns on the action. He felt like it would be wise to look at several, take one home to try it out, then bring it back if I didn't like it. Not too encouraging. I feel like if that gun has that kind of feel to it (out of three I tried, all but one had rough, catching triggers) I won't want to rely on a tool to take out to the job that has such poor QC in manufacturing.

The second gun, was actually a really nice piece of equipment. Double reinforced bottom on the cup, really nice smooth action, and he said they just don't get them back. They sell lot of them to guys that use them to shoot primer in welding shops and to those that use them for "shop only" guns for heavier finishes. He was really pleased with this one. Sadly, no way I could fit it into my portability requirements. On the bright side though, he said that he will probably have that one on sale in the next 2 -3 weeks and if they follow their sale patterns, it will probably be about $15. On the list for a shop gun.

The ABS gun had the smoothest action, and really looked like an expensive gun. The action was silky smooth, and the fit and finish was well beyond some of their other stuff. Problems was, in the guns I looked at (they were all dark blue plastic, so a black crack was easy to see) the cracks. If you look at the ad pic, they were cracked at the base of the hook, to the lower right of the pivot pen on the trigger. This is the weak point of the casting but when I pulled the trigger, I could see the flex, even on the ones that weren't already cracked.

But, but, but... I could use some sage advice here...

They had a really nice gun that was in their $35 dollar range that they are discontinuing. It is on sale for 1/2 price, about $16. It was a large, solid, polished affair with a quart cup gun. It was set up so that my little compressor (with the afore mentioned reserve tank) could push it. It only needed about 4 cfm at 50 lbs, so I should be fine there. Great feel to the packings, well built,,, so why are they closing them out?

It has a .8 mm nozzle! Now I understand why they are so low on the cfm requirements, they don't need much because they don't throw much material, and certainly not thick material. I know I can thin anything to the point where it can be shot, but I have to be careful not to exceed the manufacturer's guidleines for thinning, and I also don't have the time (contrary to popular belief, remodeling is very competitive) to build coat after coat to get the 2 or 3 thousandths required by different manufacturers for a warrantable end product.

With a .8 mm nozzle, would I be able to spray my thick oil based stuff? My little Binks 5 knockoff shoots the urethane oil based coatings I like with only about a tablespoon of thinner in 16 oz. So it isn't really thinned much to me, but it does shoot perfectly as opposed to unthinned. The coatings guy that sells this stuff gave me the formula.

So the gun looks great, but I am worried about the .8 mm nozzle. I know this smaller size is something that is usually employed to shoot lacquers and well thinned build coat finishes.

I know what really has me going about the gun is the ability to use my compressor. Ideally, I would go the client's house, tear out and hang their new door. Then I would put away the nail guns, attach my filters, turn down the compressor and start mixing paint. All from the same machine. Now my little Binks knockoff works great for 36" doors. But as you know, the gist of the problem now is constant refilling for larger projects. I am afraid that when I want to spray larger projects, this will not only have the feature of being inconvenient, but could lead to an irregularity in the finish. To finish one large set of the burglar bars on the house that got all this going for me, I have to refill the little gun 4 times!

BTW, do you have any idea what the nozzle size would be on the little Binks 5 knockoff I have could be? I am wondering that as a trim gun if it might not be somewhere in the .8 range and I just don't know it. I am wondering if it is but cannot find any info on the gun nozzle size anywhere. If that were the case I would run down and buy that bigger .8 nozzled gun and let this go for a while.

Well, the good news about HF is this.

When I spent my hour down there looking at guns, I spied a few replacement cups for the larger guns. Nothing larger for the little B5, but I looked. But says the guy, you might check in the back on their newly designed "Clearance" isle. I went back there, and there were two nicely polished, unused teflon lined cups, but they were 3/8" NPT at the connection, not 1/4".

However, HF is now discontinuing all AMFLO products, so all of them were right over the cups. So... I picked up the B5 from the front of the store and took it back where I was, and fitted a brass female coupler to the bottom of the head after taking off the tank top/siphon assembly. Then I put a 1/4 to 3/8 inch male coupler and screwed the the clearance tank onto it. Success! The tank was $5, the fittings were a buck, and I think I now have a nice bandaid.

It is feels little clumsy in the hand (full of paint should really magnify this >a lot

Reply to
nailshooter41

This one would make a good gun - with the reservation that I haven't shot it, but it has all the right stuff.

Hmmmmm - missed that in my examination. Good eye.

All right, but I usually charge for this. First - never go to bed with an ugly woman. This of course does not assure that you won't wake up with one. Second - oh... you were talking about sage advice on paint guns...

Do you have a link to this gun from the web site?

1.2 or 1.3mm would be much better. .08 is fine for stains and thin stuff, but you'll not like what it does for your work. Do they have a tip kit for the gun?

Not sure what it would have. There's no mention on the web site. I'll have to check what size on have on mine. I really can't remember.

I don't know that it will really strain the gun frame that much but with the top lever it might indeed be quite akward to use. Let us know how it works out.

Sure wish my wife would say that about me. Happy to help out.

I'll go look at my tips again and post what I have on my guns. We've been without power for two days and I've got the generator running, so we're doing all of the normal things, but I haven't been hanging around out in the garage for the past couple days.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike:

The discouraging thing about HF is that often time they have web only specials that are not notated as such, but they don't have the product in the store. Or, they have the product on sale in the store, but not on the web so I don't know about it unless I go over and poke around. Now, after looking at every single gun on the website, I cannot find the gun they had on sale in the store.

I went over there to take a look at this gun along with your suggestions as it looked portable, fit the cfm requirements and had about 3X the capacity of the B% knockoff.

they don't have it in the store, and cannot order it. Thought it could be a winner, but I couldn't even see one. And since the gun is a little different than its sisters on the site, I would really like to see one in person. I have bought enough stuff at HF to know better than to go sight unseen. But as they say, not gonna happen.

I did see this one on the website

did not see it in the store. I saw one similar in the store, but it did not have the 1.5 cfm at 30 lbs. as a requirement. The requirements on the one in the store were much higher, as were the rest of the requirements on this website. It did look the same, though.

Frankly, I never knew that HF was carrying so many types of spray equipment. The new guy told me that they sell a ton of it, enough to really surprise him.

In don't know if you were aware of this, but HF will carry EXACTLY the same product with different product and SKU numbers. I was looking at something there to buy a few years ago, and was confused since I couldn't see any difference in the products except one was literally half the price of the other (it was a side angle grinder actually) and so I broke down and asked the manager. He told me that it was a common practice for them to change up the numbers and designations so that they could keep an accurate count on sale items, and more importantly, the batch numbers from their bulk Chinese suppliers. If they got

10,000 paint guns in 1,000 batches with sligthly differnet numbers on the box/sticker, they could tell when and where they were manufactured to keep up the QC.

I will pass by HF tomorrow and see if they have any of the .8mm guns left (I am now hoping that the Chinamen didn't just leave off the "1" in the batch I was looking at!) and will get back to you here with a model number.

BTW, what's up with the electric outage? Are you one of our Northern neighbors that is taking a beating with these last few storms?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I share your concern. Even when you can actually grab the item, there's a lot you can't tell until you get it home and put it into practice. But to go just from a picture...

Interesting - I've suspected something similar because I've seen the discrepancy in pricing but never really gave it enough thought.

Try it - nothing to lose. I've shot some pretty heavy oil base stuff through my guns by just thinning them some, but it's just one of those things you won't really know until you try it. Fortunately, the price is not a show stopper.

Yup - Central NY - Syracuse area. High winds this past weekend tore up the area. It's not the worst outage we've ever seen by a long shot - only about

200,000 (slightly less) customers out of service on Friday. We got power back Saturday night. We've got a generator so we just fire it up and backfeed the whole house. Life sorta goes on except I have to fuel it up every 10 hours or so. It's not a continuous duty generator and I wonder if every time I fire it up will be the last, but it just keeps working like a champ. At some point I'll probably bit the bullet and install a permanent standby generator - but that's down road.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike:

This is exactly what I mean about HF inconsistency.

A check on the website and that gun is no longer available. That means they will close them out in the stores.

I must say, you are pretty damn calm to not have electricity. Down here in S. Texas where I live (San Antonio), we never go without power. I can't imagine being that calm if almost a quarter of a million were without power here.

I am imagining something like "The Omega Man".

Back here later. I am off to HF tomorrow to check them and will ping you when I have one of them hooked up and spraying.

Good luck on the power situation.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41