Ping: Mac Davis

Mac, I saw your lathe's tool rack on the pic site. What holds the tools to the rack? Magnets?
Sonny

Yes, Sonny... rare earth magnets in matching cups... The cups focus the magnetic force and let you use a smaller magnet to hold the same weight, though the main reason that I use them is to make mounting the magnet easier.. The cup mounts with a #4 flathead screw and works very well..
magnets.. I use "A" http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p2065&cat=1,42363,42348
Cups... http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p2066&cat=1,42363,42348
I added a narrow shelf under each row, mostly as an alignment thing, but also to help hold thin or round shaft tools like bowl gouges..
I have a smaller, wall mounted version for bench chisels, pry bars, etc..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

As a side effect, you can use your nice scary sharp chisel to pick up a dropped screw or two. ;-)
Puckdropper

I've never had that problem, but got a great tip (as usual) from George.. Tools get magnetized by being dragged (usually down) across a magnet and can be demagnetized by simply dragging the tool across the magnet in the other direction..
I was worried at first of things like large skews trying to "stick" to the tool rest, but they don't seem to... Then again, the way I turn, sticking to the tool rest might be a GOOD thing.. ;-]
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Thanks Mac. Those links were certainly helpful, also.
Sonny