ping LRod : OT thanks for the tool $$$$

Thanks to the Woodbutcher I now have more money to spend on tools and wood and you can too.

A lot easier than you think. You can try LRod's way

buy a short book that explains it and makes you feel like an idiot for not doing it sooner
be able to buy a bandsaw by the end of the month with all of the money.

Reply to
RayV

I was worried at first that you were funnin' me, but after taking a look at the Amazon link (#2) it appears (without actually reading the book) that many of the things in it are very similar to what's on my page (link 1).

Congratulations. Keep doing it. One day at a time. In one month will be the 31st anniversary of my quitting a 2½ pack/day habit. I haven't so much as touched one in the intervening time.

And thank you for letting me know you got something out of my article.

Reply to
LRod

Good for you LRod. Looks like you certainly have kicked the habit. But, dang!, how old are you???? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I've got right at 10 years (for the second time).

Just not having to earn $300 a month in order to feed my habit is a lot of weight off my back.

The last time I missed a days work for a respiratory infection I had Legionnaires Disease ... not smokers bronchitis. I missed less than a week and was back in the saddle feeling fit the following Monday.

This time last year I was this >< close to dead. But I had the reserves to fight back.

Now when I want to waste some money, I go to Woodcraft. ;-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

When I quit I figured I was saving about $1500/year, and the above was one of the perks I kept reminding myself with.

Going on 17 years after quitting a 30 year, three pack a day habit, so it's been a while ... just how much are cigarettes these days?

In any event, keep it up ... it's most definitely worth the effort. Just watch the weight!

Reply to
Swingman

RE: Subject

SFWIW, have never tried any drugs except nicotine and alcohol, at a very early age I might add.

IMHO, nicotine is the most addictive drug on the planet.

Quit almost 30 years ago, got tired of paying a higher price every week. It was/is probably the most difficult thing I have ever done.

To this day, I freely admit to being a recovering nicotine addict.

Having said the above I'm worse than stink on crap when it comes to tobacco.

You DO NOT want me on your case.

I can smell that foul weed from a 100 ft in a wind storm, and I detest it.

To all of you who are fighting the battle, keep up the fight, one hour at a time.

Just think, due to your efforts, your SO doesn't have to kiss an ashtray.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

61, just last month. Are you saying I sound like a young pup?
Reply to
LRod

Yes, you are young. Much younger than if you still smoked.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah ... I can smell a cigar headed the other way in traffic. I used to inhale the suckers. Now, they just stink.

A few days ago the Missus & I went into a local coney island joint (Larry's on Telegraph, if you're in the neighborhood) and had to sit in the smoking section for lack of other seats. When we sat down it was okay because the booths nearest us were empty. Just about the time our food arrived, somebody sat down behind us and lit up.

Yecchhhh. But we were in 'his' section so we just ate quick and got out.

From now on, if there are no seats in the non-smoking section, I have decided to just keep moving on. As a smoker I had no idea how repulsive cigarette smoke is to a non-smoker. Now I know.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

SMOKING SECTION------------SMOKING SECTION

When you folks in the motor city going to join the real world?

You want to smoke, GO OUTSIDE.

Seriously, when I came to SoCal in 1990, restaurants had smoking and no smoking sections, but then so did airplanes.

All that is long gone. Matter of fact, it is even illegal to smoke outside in certain parts of SoCal, which includes the beaches.

How times have changed.

We have a L/A city counsel man to thank. For him it was a life long fight to get smoke free environments.

Hang in there, non smoking is coming to your area, if it isn't already there.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I believe it. Walking, I've noticed a number of times that I could smell that lingering, stale cigarette smoke smell from the interior of a car passing on the opposite side of the street.

A common enough comment that it's a pretty sure bet that ex-smokers become overly sensitized to the smell.

Reply to
Swingman

I thought New York had outlawed all smoking in restaurants.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Interesting point...

I "know" you can't smoke > I thought New York had outlawed all smoking in restaurants.

Reply to
Pat Barber

"Swingman" wrote in news:MMCdnTnInbhlF0DYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's not just former smokers. Never smokers (if I can use that term) have the same sensitivity at times.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Depends a lot on where you live. Here in AZ "name" brands go for over $4.00 a pack, I think, been a while since I looked. The "sin tax" on tobacco is a large component of the price. According to the American Lung Association, the federal excise tax on tobacco is $0.39 per pack, and the state taxes range from $0.07 in SC to $2.46 in RI. And then there's the other cost - the Center for Disease Control estimates that smoking-related health care costs average $8.44 per pack sold in the US.

Quit 16 years ago - 2 powerful motivators. Wife just announced she was pregnant with our daughter (15 now). Also, had just spent an uncomfortable few weeks watching as my wife's uncle struggled and died from complications of smoking-related emphysema - made a big impression on me.

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

Son of a gun! That over $4K year at my addiction rate back then ... indeed, that'll buy a lot of wood/tools.

Reply to
Swingman

I tried to have my last smoke after 45 years of nastiness on Xmas Eve

2006 - a present to my wife (and myself).

I've bounced off the wagon twice since then - total of 2 cigarettes and PO'd at myself each time.

Money is not the driver, it's self respect.

Working on it, one day at a time.

SWMBO just completed 500 days smoke free after 40 years of smoking. No way I can admit she's stronger than I - she's JUST a FEMALE!

aagh!

Tom

Reply to
Tom B

It can be a tough call, but, on balance, I hope that they have. However, it won't do me any good in Detroit.

A FEW local restaurants are totally non-smoking. They've found that their business did not dry up and blow away. And their costs of doing business went down. Amigos in Taylor (a suburb of Detroit) is one that we frequent with this policy. In fact, I think they stopped serving alcohol, too. SLIGHTLY less busy on a Friday than previously ... but sometimes they still have a waiting line.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

When I quit drinking and that would happen, the only penalty I assessed myself was to start the counting over. My last drink was in August of

1978. I haven't had to reset that calendar since then.

There were several other calendars. They are doing just fine, too.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

The book takes a little longer than you to get to the point but the point is the same. He goes through every excuse/reason why you smoke and cuts them down one by one. Then at the end you just stop smoking by making a verbal commitment.

BTW smokes are $6.50 a pack in NJ so I was lighting $13.00 a day on fire!

Reply to
RayV