ping LRod : OT thanks for the tool $$$$

Page 1 of 2
Thanks to the Woodbutcher I now have more money to spend on tools and wood and you can too.
A lot easier than you think. You can try LRod's way http://tinyurl.com/2pta6x
or buy a short book that explains it and makes you feel like an idiot for not doing it sooner http://tinyurl.com/2woegg
Should be able to buy a bandsaw by the end of the month with all of the money.

I was worried at first that you were funnin' me, but after taking a look at the Amazon link (#2) it appears (without actually reading the book) that many of the things in it are very similar to what's on my page (link 1).
Congratulations. Keep doing it. One day at a time. In one month will be the 31st anniversary of my quitting a 2 pack/day habit. I haven't so much as touched one in the intervening time.
And thank you for letting me know you got something out of my article.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Good for you LRod. Looks like you certainly have kicked the habit. But, dang!, how old are you???? ;~)
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:30:17 GMT, "Leon"

61, just last month. Are you saying I sound like a young pup?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Yes, you are young. Much younger than if you still smoked.
LRod wrote:

I've got right at 10 years (for the second time).
Just not having to earn $300 a month in order to feed my habit is a lot of weight off my back.
The last time I missed a days work for a respiratory infection I had Legionnaires Disease ... not smokers bronchitis. I missed less than a week and was back in the saddle feeling fit the following Monday.
This time last year I was this >< close to dead. But I had the reserves to fight back.
Now when I want to waste some money, I go to Woodcraft. ;-)
Bill
rascal less in the world.

The book takes a little longer than you to get to the point but the point is the same. He goes through every excuse/reason why you smoke and cuts them down one by one. Then at the end you just stop smoking by making a verbal commitment.
BTW smokes are $6.50 a pack in NJ so I was lighting $13.00 a day on fire!
"RayV" wrote in message

Jeeezuzz!! Makes you wanna light up, then quit again and justify buying more tools with the "savings"!
Seriously ... that a helluva incentive for both personal and financial health.
I remember in England back in the early 60's they were almost that high, so I took to rolling my own. Must be a big market for the roll-ur-own supplies these days?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

;~) I strongly suspect that the ones doing the "roll-ur-own" thing are using a much more expensive type of smoking ingredient.
"Leon" wrote in message

You mean you roll that stuff? We'd just put the whole lot in a red hot skillet and stand in the kitchen breathe.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
"RayV" wrote in message

When I quit I figured I was saving about $1500/year, and the above was one of the perks I kept reminding myself with.
Going on 17 years after quitting a 30 year, three pack a day habit, so it's been a while ... just how much are cigarettes these days?
In any event, keep it up ... it's most definitely worth the effort. Just watch the weight!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yeah ... I can smell a cigar headed the other way in traffic. I used to inhale the suckers. Now, they just stink.
A few days ago the Missus & I went into a local coney island joint (Larry's on Telegraph, if you're in the neighborhood) and had to sit in the smoking section for lack of other seats. When we sat down it was okay because the booths nearest us were empty. Just about the time our food arrived, somebody sat down behind us and lit up.
Yecchhhh. But we were in 'his' section so we just ate quick and got out.
From now on, if there are no seats in the non-smoking section, I have decided to just keep moving on. As a smoker I had no idea how repulsive cigarette smoke is to a non-smoker. Now I know.
Bill
is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
Bill in Detroit wrote:
> A few days ago the Missus & I went into a local coney island joint > (Larry's on Telegraph, if you're in the neighborhood) and had to sit in > the smoking section for lack of other seats.
SMOKING SECTION------------SMOKING SECTION
When you folks in the motor city going to join the real world?<G>
You want to smoke, GO OUTSIDE.
Seriously, when I came to SoCal in 1990, restaurants had smoking and no smoking sections, but then so did airplanes.
All that is long gone. Matter of fact, it is even illegal to smoke outside in certain parts of SoCal, which includes the beaches.
How times have changed.
We have a L/A city counsel man to thank. For him it was a life long fight to get smoke free environments.
Hang in there, non smoking is coming to your area, if it isn't already there.
Lew
"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message

I believe it. Walking, I've noticed a number of times that I could smell that lingering, stale cigarette smoke smell from the interior of a car passing on the opposite side of the street.
A common enough comment that it's a pretty sure bet that ex-smokers become overly sensitized to the smell.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

It's not just former smokers. Never smokers (if I can use that term) have the same sensitivity at times.
Patriarch

I thought New York had outlawed all smoking in restaurants.

Interesting point...
I "know" you can't smoke in Manhattan .."anywhere" and I don't believe you can in office building anymore.
J. Clarke wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

It can be a tough call, but, on balance, I hope that they have. However, it won't do me any good in Detroit.
A FEW local restaurants are totally non-smoking. They've found that their business did not dry up and blow away. And their costs of doing business went down. Amigos in Taylor (a suburb of Detroit) is one that we frequent with this policy. In fact, I think they stopped serving alcohol, too. SLIGHTLY less busy on a Friday than previously ... but sometimes they still have a waiting line.
Bill
is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make

<de-lurk>
Depends a lot on where you live. Here in AZ "name" brands go for over $4.00 a pack, I think, been a while since I looked. The "sin tax" on tobacco is a large component of the price. According to the American Lung Association, the federal excise tax on tobacco is $0.39 per pack, and the state taxes range from $0.07 in SC to $2.46 in RI. And then there's the other cost - the Center for Disease Control estimates that smoking-related health care costs average $8.44 per pack sold in the US.
Quit 16 years ago - 2 powerful motivators. Wife just announced she was pregnant with our daughter (15 now). Also, had just spent an uncomfortable few weeks watching as my wife's uncle struggled and died from complications of smoking-related emphysema - made a big impression on me.
<re-lurk>
Jerry