Ping Lew

In a couple of posts, Lew, you referenced your boat. Sail or power? I use d to sail the Chesapeake in a 32' Beneteau until we moved to Wisconsin. Ha ulers wanted nearly 5K to move it and we weren't too enthusiastic about sai ling Lake Michigan. That was six years ago and I still look at the used bo at ads every April.
Larry
"Gramp's shop" wrote:
In a couple of posts, Lew, you referenced your boat. Sail or power? I used to sail the Chesapeake in a 32' Beneteau until we moved to Wisconsin. Haulers wanted nearly 5K to move it and we weren't too enthusiastic about sailing Lake Michigan. That was six years ago and I still look at the used boat ads every April. -----------------------------------------------
Ever hear of Jan Guthrie in Racine?
She has a brokerage there.
You are talking to a Great Lakes cruising sailor (Erie) and I highly recommend it.
A trip to the North Channel is a cruise to be remembered.
Had a Seafarer 30 that I sailed out of various ports on the south shore of L Erie.
$5K for freight is a tough nut to crack, especially when you are talking about taking a "saltie" into fresh water.
Lots of 30-35 ft boats available between Chicago and Racine.
As far as my project is concerned, came to California and within a year started construction of "Challenge".
https://sites.google.com/site/lewssailboat/
Lew
Forgot to include Jan's web site.
http://www.buy-a-boat.com/
Lew -------------------------------------------------

That's a hell of a piece of sailboat, Lew. We loved being on the water ... And I will visit with Jan this spring. Hard to trade dropping the hook in St Michaels or Annapolis for Racine harbor or Kenosha ... But I am startin g to get the itch, especially since I'm likely to (semi) retire on 4/1. 28 -30 foot day sailor sounds about right.
"Gramp's shop" wrote:
That's a hell of a piece of sailboat, Lew. We loved being on the water ... And I will visit with Jan this spring. Hard to trade dropping the hook in St Michaels or Annapolis for Racine harbor or Kenosha ... But I am starting to get the itch, especially since I'm likely to (semi) retire on 4/1. 28-30 foot day sailor sounds about right. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you.
A lot of me in her.
You need to check out the Door Country just north of you.
30 ft is an ideal length for the Great Lakes.
Big enough to be comfortable on passage.
Small enough to find a dock at the end of the day.
Have fun.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Gotta say, I don't envy you having to sand all that glass. Makes me itch just thinking about it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
"dadiOH" wrote:

Amazing how fast glass wears out a 16 grit sanding disc.
Lew
Reminds me of the annual spring bottom sanding/painting when my 32 foot boat miraculously become a 50 footer, only to shrink back to specs once back in the water.
On Saturday, February 9, 2013 3:50:08 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:

On 2/8/2013 5:48 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

to sail the Chesapeake in a 32' Beneteau until we moved to Wisconsin. Haulers wanted nearly 5K to move it and we weren't too enthusiastic about sailing Lake Michigan. That was six years ago and I still look at the used boat ads every April.

SailingTexas.com
It's like a whole 'nother place...