Ping Leon, Rikon Band Saw

Have you heard anything on your bandsaw or did you receive it? I was told that There was a shipment that left Boston last week headed for the west coast. I'm really looking forward to working with a real band saw instead of my 14" chinawese that I have to run between Delta and Jet to buy a part for.
Mike M
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:43:19 -0800, Mike M

Aren't Rikons Chinese?
Barry

Yes, last week I talked to the Woodcraft store manager and he reassured me that I would be getting the new saw at the old sale price and that he thought that it could be in this week. Right now it is looking like maybe next week since it is not here yet. He did seem to think that it should be any day now however. You do realize that the Rikon saw are made in China, right?
[snipped for brevity]

My BIL..( my EX-BIL now) owns and operates a good-sized machine shop in Toronto. Long before the big Chiwanese on-rush of goods, he bought a couple of lathes in China... in 1970. With the hassles and freight and duties, it was not a 'deal'. Money had nothing to do with it as many German and Swiss pieces of equipment in his shop show. He honestly believed they were the best lathes on the market for his type of accuracy. He specializes in goofy stuff like gyro rotors for aerospace, parts for high-speed printing presses and racing engines. It is only when 'for-a-price' was inserted in the business model, that things went for shit.
Yes I'm aware its made in China. My woodcraft dealer was refering to the shipment coming from Rikon's Massacussets warehouse. They had hoped to get their shipment yesterday but it looks like next week. So it sounds like were getting similar information. I didn't get as good a price as you did. I didn't order until the end of Dec. but he still gave it to me for the old price without the sale discount.
Mike M
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:10:26 GMT, "Leon"

I originally ordered Nov 19 when they were on sale. It was supposed to have arrived a week later and two weeks later Woodcraft told me that I would have to wait for the new model and that they would honor the pricing. IIRC the new ones will be going for $1149.00 I got mine for $899.00. If I had waited until today I would have to pay almost 30% more.
Where are you located?
I'm located a little out of Carnation, Wa. which is about 30 miles east of Seattle in the foothills. I got mine for with in a few dollars of $1,000, don't remember exactly because of the sales tax being added. Actually did a job for WHM that has Jet, ect., and a little job for the Oliver and Sunhill warehouse. The owner of Sunhill/Oliver was a nice guy. You said the dealer was delivering it for you didn't you? That would be nice. It has a lifting eye on it so I'm just going to borrow a boom truck from work.
Mike M
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:21:08 GMT, "Leon"

I have to go after it but that is OK. I plan on tipping it out of the truck..... I think.
"Leon" wrote in message

Let me know if you need some help.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I certainly will. Thank you Sir.
How is the house coming?
"Leon" wrote in message

Vertical movement on one (first floor framing just started yesterday), and in the permit/plans approval process on another. Foundation code requirements just changed in this city and slowed things down considerably.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Well that sounds like it is heading in the right direction. Did you sell the other house that you were framing in Dec of 04?
And assuming this house is the one that you were wanting me to help with the kitchen I am still interested.
"Leon" wrote in message

Yep ... it sold right away.

Still do, just not quite there yet. Might do two kitchens at once this time, or at least the boxes for both.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

OK, that is fine. I'll look forward to it.

and it sounded like it comes assembed mounted vertically to the pallet. It does have a lifting eye so if you have some where to rig a chain hoist your in business.
Mike M

I saw that too. I'll have to stick my middle finger through that "EYE" and set it down gently off my truck. OR remove the pallet first and then tip it off the truck. ;~) I wonder if any one in the neighborhood has a cherry picker that will reach to 10'?
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:53:37 GMT, "Leon"

I laid a laguna 16HD down in the bed of my truck, drove it 300 miles, tipped it back up and then, with the help of my two nephews, slid it off the tailgate. Wasn't hard, but maybe the rikon weighs more.

I had to lay my Rikon down as well (camper shell on truck). I attached 5 - 2" castors to the bottom of the palette and tipped it out of my truck. I had to have my wife hold the bottom to keep it from rolling on the castors but it made it nice to move into my shop. Problem is....I haven't taken it off the palette yet since it's so convenient to move it around.
Gary

Gary, did you set the whole saw inside the truck bed or did you leave the tail gate down and let the palette hang over the edge?
Sounds like you may have a cheap mobile base. LOL