Ping Leon Re: Staining

On Wed, 01 Jan 2014 08:36:35 -0600, Leon

I apply the second coat with, now this is key, A "Wooster" brand foam >brush. DO NOT USE a cheap inexpensive foam brush!. I find these >Wooster brand brushes at Home Depot. >

Hi Leon. I saved this message you posted in January. Apparently, the Canadian Home Depot stores do not carry the Wooster brand of foam brush. (not that I could find) Lowes do carry the Wooster brand, but not the specific foam brush you quoted above.

I guess my question is: What constitutes a good or poor foam brush? Can you determine a good foam brush by looking at them in the store? Or, do you have to buy and use various brands to see how well they work? Barring my finding decent foam brushes, I'll have to go with a good bristle brush.

Reply to
none

Typically a better foam brush will have a plastic ferrule and handle similar to a bristle brush. The better foam brush is typically not impaled with a wooden dowel. for a handle. It will tend to feel softer and smoother than a cheap brush, the cells will be smaller. The better foam brush will not melt in an oil based varnish or paint and will can be easily cleaned in thinner several times.

Having said all of that, can you order from Amazon?

Leon

Yes. Amazon.ca has them for $6.17. Considering the price gouge, it would almost be cheaper to order them from amazon.com. But, either way, I can get them. Thanks.

Reply to
none

You can almost drive across the border just ont he price difference. $2,58 here.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski