Ping: Leon

Leon, can you give me a link to some pictures of your Domino pinned drawer fronts please. I'd like to show them to someone.

Thanks

Reply to
Dave

Here you go

Leon

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 06:19:46 -0500, Leon

used in place of the VS600 dovetailing jig. Someone was wondering if he needed to buy the VS600 after buying the Domino. Although, my post may only serve to confuse him further.

Dave

far as drawers go, I don't understand why all in the universe are not made of 3/4" maple. Makes the prettiest damn drawer around.

Well, besides the cost ...

Reply to
Swingman

looking drawers, furniture, etc. Leon.

And I like the power line duck.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

>>> Good looking drawers, furniture, etc. Leon.

Oh! so you were snooping around! LOL... Glad you did and glad you enjoyed it.. The duck is something isn't it? Swingman identified it as a Whistling Duck. I see them almost daily in our neighborhood. They have a very distinctive "Quack"? and they immediately draw my attention.

Reply to
Leon

I used to torment them with my BB gun as a kid. They are the only duck I ever saw that will sit on telephone wire, especially one with under-hanging tree limbs below, where I could sneak up on them and get into BB gun range.

And NO, they don't make good gumbo ... my Nana told me that, but at nine years old and finally getting my hands on a weapon that would let me bag one, I had to try anyway. She was right.

Reply to
Swingman

Gofer, Everett?

Reply to
Leon

I have a little gallon and a half cooler I carry with me on canoe trips. T= he handle squeaks exactly like a woodduck sounds. I've often squeaked it, = when paddling near some unsuspecting Cajun fishermen, out in the lake at Ch= icot State Park. Those guys would be looking all over for them ducks. LOL= . =20

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

handle squeaks exactly like a woodduck sounds. I've often squeaked it, when paddling near some unsuspecting Cajun fishermen, out in the lake at Chicot State Park. Those guys would be looking all over for them ducks. LOL.

As long as they didn't "sneak behind a little patch of grass and make like dey hide ..."

Reply to
Swingman

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 06:19:46 -0500, Leon

~ Something as simple as a screw into the back of the drawer front or perhaps something a little more esoteric?

Reply to
Dave

> I was wondering how you attach your drawer fronts to the drawer case?

Each project is different but in this case I put 4, 1" Pocket hole screws in from the the inside of the box into the front.

I had a jig for spacing the false front to the box.

In bigger cabinet drawers I do the same with but I use 1.125" pocket holes screws and let them protrude through the draw front a little bit. Then I align the false front and press it against the screws to make indexing marks on the back side of the false front. I then open the drawer realign the screws with the marks and drive the screws into those index marks.

Now if I have the pulls in advance I mark the holes on the front of the false front for the pull and drive the pocket hole screws in at that point, from the front of the false front into the drawer, open the drawer and put 4 pocket hole screws in from the inside to securely attach the false front to the drawer and remove the 2 screws in the front where the pull will be located and use the regular machine thread screws in those holes for the pulls.

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 06:19:46 -0500, Leon

I agree 100%!

Reply to
Dave

> I've been told by Kev in Australia to tell you that, You do good work. > I agree 100%!

Thank you and Tell Kev? thank you also.. Who is Kev?

Reply to
Leon

One of the members of the Festool Owners Group.

One other question about the woodworking you do. I've noticed that you like to build with combinations of contrasting wood. How easily obtainable are those different woods down where you're located?

Up where I live, there's similar varieties of wood, but I'd have to look much harder for it and the cost would go up exponentially.

Reply to
Dave

Well, actually the contrast you see is mostly between the same species hard wood and plywood. That said however, do you use a clear finish or do you stain. I try my best to only use a clear varnish The 3 book cases all pretty much use the same color/shade of white oak. With the clear finish I use however the contrast changes, depending on the angle that the board is at and or the light angle. For instance the if you look at the cabinets from the front a side rail might appear dark, viewed at the same angle from the rear with the light coming at a different angle the rail looks lighter. By the same token if I rotate the wood 90 degrees it may go from light to dark.

Reply to
Leon

Ahhhh.. To give a very good example of what I am talking about look at both links below

Look specifically at the lower cabinet doors on the right hand side.

Notice on one picture the bottom door rails appear to be light and the stiles appear to be dark.

look at the picture below and the same bottom doors that is taken from the other angle. Notice that the door rails now appear to be darker than the stiles.

Leon